Pressure cooker as heater / heat exchanger?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richie_asg1

Reaction score
As I was in the mindset of making things I was looking at my nice shiny stainless pressure cooker and thinking I could put a coil into it through the lid, and stick an element and thermometer through the side.

It could keep the wobble weight on the top and the safety valve to make sure it didn't explode.

Being quite small with a pressure tight lid - and new seals available it would seem ideal for the heater of a small recirculating system.

Has anyone done this and are there any photo's?

I've only seen systems on youtube using plastic heaters or large 40L kettles or bespoke shiny stainless systems.

P.S. I've got an old aluminium one to try this on!

Can't see why not, most just put the coil in the HLT, the advantage being that when it comes to mash out and sparging the two need to be the same temperature anyway.

You won't need the 'presure' bit, the heat exchanger only needs to be the same temp (or a few degrees over) the target temperature, so for a 75C mashout 76-77C would be enough. the whole point of HERMs (over RIMS) is that the temperature is low.

My plan was to do it with a cheap kettle if I can, although I'm finding it hard to coil the 10mm tube tight enough, it kinks round a jam jar so I'm thinking of going back to paint tin diameters and putting it in the HLT.

Back