Barleywine v1

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gomas

Reaction score
Hi peeps,

I've done this in the wrong order and already brewed this, but it is currently 3 days into fermentation and I just wanted some thoughts on FG.

The recipe was:

4.9kg MO
0.1kg crystal
30g Challenger Hop pellets for bittering (60)
10g Pioneer leaf for flavour (last 10 mins)
Danstar Nottingham (2 packets dried)

90 min boil.
4.2 gallon pre boil, 2.8 gallon post boil.
IBU -47

Wort smelt great and was 1095 at room temp.

My question is around FG, it rocketed down to 1022 in 3 days. Beersmith says FG should be about 1020, but it looks like it's going to continue below this. Should I just bottle at 1020, or let it continue until it eventually stops? Any guesses how long it might take to ultimately stop? and do I bottle immediately once it stops?

I probably could have used a different yeast, but to be honest, a lot of what I read confirmed Nottingham would be good for high ABV beers.

Notty can be a beast and you used two packets so I'm not surprised it hammered it's way through the wort so quick. Leave it for two weeks then take a reading for 3 consequtive days. If the reading stays the same for the 3 days bottle it.

Well, this reached an FG of 1018, so more or less bang on 10%. I left it to mature in the primary for around 4 weeks in total, then bottled, with some priming sugar (half a teaspoon per bottle). No additional yeast was added.

To see how this was maturing after a good three-four weeks in the bottle, I cracked a small tester last night (I knew there was a reason I used a few 330mls), and to my surprise after initial worries about still having enough active yeast, it was really nicely carbonated. Can't fault the Nottingham in this regard.

Taste wise there was a massive initial liquorice taste, followed by a reasonably strong alcohol aftertaste, all in all though, pretty pleasant, although a pint would be a stretch at the moment!

Now I know that it is coming along nicely now, the rest of the bottles will stay untouched until at least mid September, but all being well this should be a really nice beer.

I am definitely going re-run this brew again so that I've got one ready for Christmas. It would be good to experiment with it a bit, but I'm not entirely sure how, the hops clearly aren't a major factor, and the grain bill has already led to good results.

Sounds like a dangerous brew :drunk: I'd have to be very careful to limit my intake if I ever made anything like that :) Good work.

Back