Beerfest Mash Kettle Beer or boiler + cool box?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamthefly

Reaction score
Hi,

Iv never brewed before and I want to jump straight into all grain. I've priced a boiler and cool box mash tun, but it comes to just about the same price as this

51ddd2ae54fc6ce394c680e87eadd_1.jpg

http://www.klarstein.co.uk/Kitchen-...q6dOHzjzgr0xGIOTDHD6VxTTwOGs8dsAg8aAkpY8P8HAQ

But the description isn't that clear and bid is the single page user manual pdf. I know it's just a thermostatic element and a timer/buzzer.
Is it that you add cold water, it heats it to mash temp, holds it for 1hr, then you remove the grain somehow and it then boils the wort?

Would the element burn the brew?
How are the gains removed before boiling?
What about sparging?
If it's all done in the same vessel is it necessary to cool the Wort at all? ?

Can I cool it, add yeast and use this thing as a fermentation vessel? That would be great and reduce infection risk and cleaning.

Please advise /guess, I don't want buyers remorse it's this thing a good buy?

Edit: OK, it seems you line the whole thing with a big filter bag, then pull that out after the mash is done, taking the solids with it. Then just crank it up to boil.

Cheers,
iamthefly

Last edited:
https://youtu.be/5qB8j2xRcQk

Loads of others on you tube so check them out and if it suits give it a whirl.Although to get you started I would get a stove top grain kit,a large pot,FV with airlock and give it a try on a smaller scale before investing in something you're just not quite sure about yet.There is loads of tutorials on the forum and plenty of helpful folk around.🍺

Sent from my ALE-L21

I've never done Boil In A Bag but at that price I'm beginning to think I have maybe missed the boat using a Mash Tun and Boiler system.

On average a "Brew Day" for me takes about 5½ to 6½ hours and a lot of that time is spent setting up, filling and heating the Strike and Sparge Water, pre-heating the Mash Tun, Sparging the grain, cleaning out the Mash Tun, drying out the water heater and cleaning/drying the boiler.

The system makes great beer but the time factor (especially on cold wet days like today) is definitely against the system.

Personally, if starting from scratch with a couple of hundred quid to spare, I would go for something similar to what you are looking at and concentrate on the BIAB technique.

Hope this helps. :thumb:

I've never done Boil In A Bag but at that price I'm beginning to think I have maybe missed the boat using a Mash Tun and Boiler system.

On average a "Brew Day" for me takes about 5½ to 6½ hours and a lot of that time is spent setting up, filling and heating the Strike and Sparge Water, pre-heating the Mash Tun, Sparging the grain, cleaning out the Mash Tun, drying out the water heater and cleaning/drying the boiler.

The system makes great beer but the time factor (especially on cold wet days like today) is definitely against the system.

Personally, if starting from scratch with a couple of hundred quid to spare, I would go for something similar to what you are looking at and concentrate on the BIAB technique.

Hope this helps. :thumb:
If we were to count the pennies on every one spent for our fantastic hobby we'd be worth a fortune, fortunately we don't all the time and due to this we all have the advantage of trying different things to get the same result and with that comes experience, knowledge,diversity and above all on the forum giving advice to all that need it as we've all been there 👍🍺☺😋

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

They offer a 30L filter bag for £20,which i would count as a must have.

I'm pretty sure I'll but the Klarstein/ace, but I don't see how sparging can work without draining the hot wort into a temporary vessel where it will begin to cool, sparging through the remains in the Klarstein into the temp vessel, then pumping the finished wart back into the into the Klarstein again for the boil. This seems to defeat the purpose of an all in one system?

I've never started before, so am I not understanding this right?

Cheers

The water volume for the mash would be topped up to the boil volume with sparging this would then be reduced to batch volume during the boil....I think!
So you'd need to add...prices guessed...
Mash bag... £20
Strainer........ £10
Wort chiller.... £50
Hoses etc...... £20

Can't fin their mash bag...

Cheers

Clint

Thanks for the reply. So I need a second boiler/urn in my brew shed to heat the sparge water?

What happens if I just go full volume and don't bother with the sparge?

Cheers

Picture looks like an Ace Boiler rebadged, except that it has a 2600W element. The Ace boilers used to have a 2500W element, which was way too much and caused boilovers so after customer feedback they clipped the element down to 1600W.

For the price of the boiler in the OP plus bag and whatnot you might want to look at one of the new Ace models, with a nice digital display and switchable heater element.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-ACE-D...476539?hash=item3399314abb:g:t3sAAOSwmLlYAOq0

Latest posts

Back