Grainfather arm issue

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingathing

Reaction score
So I just got my grainfather yesterday and today I decided to do the clean out as recommended in the instructions. All is going very well pumping the cleaner through the chiller for 15 mins and then I had to change to the recurculation arm for 5 mins. I changed it over and nothing came through. I checked the difference between the connectors and the arm doesn't have the pin end to push the ball bearing in the valve to open the flow. Am I missing something here? because there is nothing in the manual or any spare parts to connect. Any help please.
AD0C6D9D-FE9A-4C52-A7A4-8FC223EB33CC.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I don't own a Grainfather but could it be that the valve is just sticking because it is new?

It looks as if it should open due to pressure one way and close to prevent reverse pressure.

After that gem of a suggestion I refer you to something that has stood me in good stead for many, many years. i.e. ...

"If all else fails, read the Manual."
:lol: :lol: :lol:​

The valve works fine with chiller connected. I have dismantled the valve and there is a ball bearing on a spring which needs compressed to open the flow. The chiller connector has the right end to push the ball open but the recurculation arm doesn't. I'm worndeeing if there was a manufacturing error or a part missing as the manual which I have read mentions nothing apart from securing an o-ring before use.

Page 4 of the same Manual shows the NRV (aka Safety Valve) and as you described in Post#1 it looks as if it needs a spigot pushed against it in order to open the valve.

There's a logic to this. If the Recirculation Pipe isn't in place the wort could be pumped all over the place!

Personally, to check that this was the problem I would dismantle the Safety Valve, remove the ball and spring and try it again. If it works then there is definitely a spigot missing from the Recirculation Pipe connection!

just use your palm to push gently but firmly down on the arm as you screw it in

AND check the status of the ball valve that you may have turned off ;)

Page 12 of this Manual ...

https://www.williamsbrewing.com/pdfs/J06.pdf

... shows the cleaning method and there seems to be no reason to circulate backwards through the NRV.

Daft question number two: "Have you got the connections the right way round?" :thumb:

I'm on stage 4 on that page. I'm not circulating backwards just replacing the chiller and arm to clean them both before use.

I've had a look at replacement arms and the have a same end piece as the chiller. I think I'll need to contact the seller for a replacement.
1FF9D903-EDF9-433F-8959-639371F14F65.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

will check mine tomorrow iirc mine (MK1) is the same as yours :) i have been caught out by the ball valve being off before stood wondering why no recirc ,,

will check mine tomorrow iirc mine (MK1) is the same as yours :) i have been caught out by the ball valve being off before stood wondering why no recirc ,,

Thanks. Yeah I did that when I first attached the chiller :doh: it was the first thing I gave a twiddle (technical term) when nothing happened when I attached the arm.

Okay, it's got me stumped.

Nowhere (and I have looked at a dozen different manuals and YouTube videos) does it show the end of the Recirculation Pipe having a spigot on it that will open the Safety Valve (aka NRV aka Check-Valve) ...

... but on EVERY view of the Safety Valve something MUST depress the ball in order to allow flow through the Recirculation Pipe.

Last possibility is that they issue ONE spigot for use with TWO connectors. Does the spigot disconnect from the Chiller?

Okay, it's got me stumped.

Nowhere (and I have looked at a dozen different manuals and YouTube videos) does it show the end of the Recirculation Pipe having a spigot on it that will open the Safety Valve (aka NRV aka Check-Valve) ...

... but on EVERY view of the Safety Valve something MUST depress the ball in order to allow flow through the Recirculation Pipe.

Last possibility is that they issue ONE spigot for use with TWO connectors. Does the spigot disconnect from the Chiller?

I've looked at the spigot on the chiller but it has a hose clamp that is crimped on.

I've looked at the spigot on the chiller but it has a hose clamp that is crimped on.

So "got me stumped" is the answer! :lol: :lol:

Whilst waiting for a replacement, if you decide to dismantle the valve and remove the ball so that it will operate ...

... please remember that it isn't called a "Safety Valve" for nothing so there WILL be an element of danger if you do!

So "got me stumped" is the answer! :lol: :lol:

Whilst waiting for a replacement, if you decide to dismantle the valve and remove the ball so that it will operate ...

... please remember that it isn't called a "Safety Valve" for nothing so there WILL be an element of danger if you do!

It's defiantly a strange one. I can still use the chiller to recirculate the mash but it's not ideal. I'm a bit disappointed considering the cost, I would have thought the quality control would have been better.

I can't understand why there is no spigot shown on any of the photographs!

Maybe there was no Safety Valve installed when it was first invented?

TBH it will operate quite happily without. The Safety Valve prevents idiots (like me for instance!) from pumping wort all over the floor if they start the pump without either the Recirculation Pipe or the Chiller being properly fitted.

I agree with your QC comment. At the price they charge i seems inconceivable that they don't have a QC system that picks up things like this!

I suppose that the good news is that, when you get the right Recirculation Pipe, you will be ready to go and this inconvenience will become just a distant memory! :thumb:

I can't understand why there is no spigot shown on any of the photographs!

Maybe there was no Safety Valve installed when it was first invented?

TBH it will operate quite happily without. The Safety Valve prevents idiots (like me for instance!) from pumping wort all over the floor if they start the pump without either the Recirculation Pipe or the Chiller being properly fitted.

I agree with your QC comment. At the price they charge i seems inconceivable that they don't have a QC system that picks up things like this!

I suppose that the good news is that, when you get the right Recirculation Pipe, you will be ready to go and this inconvenience will become just a distant memory! :thumb:

I've checked on the grainfather Facebook forum and their saying it's the arm from the first generation grainfather. Must have been a mistake in the factory. They are suggesting removing the safety valve bearing and spring as it apparently gets clogged easily anyway. I might still see if they will send me out a replacement arm. Looking forward to getting my first brew done on it tomorrow :cheers:

just got back from the shed, and i was wrong my mk1 arm has the same h/w end as the chiller to engage with the sprung ball.

the seller should sort you out ;)

Get in touch with imake, their customer service is spot on and they'll sort you out.

just got back from the shed, and i was wrong my mk1 arm has the same h/w end as the chiller to engage with the sprung ball.

the seller should sort you out ;)

Thanks. I've send an email to both The Homebrew Company and imake so I should get a response soon.

Latest posts

Back