flavours and body in a beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on the beer.

For example, American IPAs take its flavour primarily from the hops (although "bigger" beers will be balanced with a malt backbone), darker beers from the grain, wheat beers from the yeast, a lot of Belgian beers and bitters from a combination of the 3.

Body comes from unfermented sugars, so the grain.

You can build body by mashing at different temperatures and adding specialty malts. The yeast will then eat away at it but the extent to which it does that depends on the type of yeast and how you did the mash. There's a lot of science behind it and many books you can read!

Generally in most beers yeast is responsible for around 70% of the overall taste.

USE THE BEST QUALITY YEAST YOU CAN.

which is the best

If you can blag some live yeast from a good commercial brewery. The best brewery's keep their own strains going and will normally have a surplus. Brewlabs slants along with Whitelabs and Wyeast liquid yeast are the next best option or cultivating from a bottle conditioned bottle.

You'd be surprised how specialty malts can still up the ABV.
Looks like there's lots of things to consider.
I mashed at 64/65c but bottling too early is prob gonna give me more body than the abv which is unfortunately what I was aiming for.
Either way it's above 4â„… which will be a nice sessionable beer.

Just so you know, Trueblue is a strong advocate for liquid yeast. I'm not saying he's wrong but there are those who would disagree. Dried vs Liquid yeast is an age old brewing forum debate which I suspect will never die

Not just liquid yeast. As I said also live brewers yeast, cultivating from bottles and slants are as good if not better. I just advocate using the best quality as it's the most important link in the brewing chain.
There was a time I gave up brewing as I could only get dried yeast. I had been using the yeast from White shield for around 15 years when they stopped brewing it and at the time I could not find any other bottle conditioned beers. This was the early 1990s so pre-internet and the only yeast my local shop stocked was SO4:sick: After using it for a few months I decided to stop brewing as the quality of my beers was so disappointing. After around 6 months of not brewing the shop owner phoned me to say he was stocking new yeast from America, Wyeast, do I want to try it. Never looked back.

Not just liquid yeast. As I said also live brewers yeast, cultivating from bottles and slants are as good if not better. I just advocate using the best quality as it's the most important link in the brewing chain.
There was a time I gave up brewing as I could only get dried yeast. I had been using the yeast from White shield for around 15 years when they stopped brewing it and at the time I could not find any other bottle conditioned beers. This was the early 1990s so pre-internet and the only yeast my local shop stocked was SO4:sick: After using it for a few months I decided to stop brewing as the quality of my beers was so disappointing. After around 6 months of not brewing the shop owner phoned me to say he was stocking new yeast from America, Wyeast, do I want to try it. Never looked back.

I'm quite keen on bottle culturing, simply because it's so cheap to do. If you buy holland and barratt malt extract when there's a sale on (penny sale or buy one get the second half price) to use, you can culture up a top notch yeast for about 3 quid

which is the best

My house is overheated, because there are 2 or 3 women living in it. (This is so much less fun than it sounds - one wife and two daughters).

The so called Chico strain makes this the way to go. It is US 05 or WLP001.

It makes for very clean tasting beer, does not jump out of the fermenter, but it is a bit slow to flocculate.

I re-use this yeast from the first pitching by chucking the trub into ~ 6 x 250ml PET lemonade bottles. It is good for the very high temps these girls live at - 20-22C.

"By now you should be able to brew this in your sleep... Pale Ale base malt, Crystal and maybe biscuit , plus Cascade or similar hops and it is easy as pie..."

Quote there in much truncated form from Randy Mosher's Radical Brewing. p87 - easy to miss.

where do all the flavours and body come from
is it grain hops or yeast
All three and more, on both counts.

Grain, alcohol, hop oils, yeast byproducts like glycerol, water treatment and carbon dioxide all play a part on creating the right mouthfeel and add various layers of flavour.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Back