The Grainfather (my experiences so far)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I ordered a Grainfather from one of the suppliers listed on here who offer a 5% discount for forum members. It came with a 'free' sparge water heater but the price was more than I could have bought the Grainfather and sparge water heater separately from elsewhere. There was also a choice of a free mash kit so I chose a Red IPA. I also ordered some additional items too. The order process went though fine and the 5% forum discount code was accepted by the online ordering system and payment was made. All OK so far. The next morning I got a phone call from the supplier saying they weren't going to honour the discount code because they said the deal with the Grainfather and 'free' sparge water heater was an offer and they wouldn't make any money on it. With hindsight I should have cancelled there and then but I had to pay back all the 5% discount along with an extra carriage charge so I could still get the items. I was also being asked to go with a cheaper free mash kit but I stuck my ground with that one. I'm still waiting for a VAT invoice for the total amount. The items arrived a few days after ordering and were complete and undamaged but the whole experience has left a sour taste in my mouth with the unprofessional attitude of the dealer. :evil:

I was putting up shelves in the kitchen last week so I've only just managed to assemble the Grainfather. All went well except for the fiddle of getting the filter plates in without knocking off the silicone seals. I did wet them well but I did read a post on here recommending using Star San so I will use that in the future. I'm impressed by the quality (except for those seals) of the Grainfather and how things have moved on since the days when I used to use a Bruheat boiler for the mash and hop boil many years ago.

The Grainfather did come with the later Connect control box so should be better for those stepped mashes. I've not had a chance to do a brew in it yet but I'll post updates as and when. :cheers:

Also put the grainbasket into the water as its heating up, when it gets to about 50c lift it out and put the bottom plate into the basket then, there will have been a tiny bit of expansion in the grain basket with it heating up combined with the wet surface the plate slips in a bit easier.

Yes I could have saved a small amount by shopping around separately, but if the seller had honoured the forum discount, then that would have been the cheaper price.

Can I ask where? Was thinking of pricing one up. Surely they lied saying they wouldn't make any profit on 5%

I have asked AndrewsBrew not to mention their name as i have asked them to visit the thread and make an announcement about the code and other discounts, in the meantime i would suggest anyone deciding to buy something already discounted or having extras included free of charge contacts the seller to see if the 5% discount will be honoured.

Nothing wrong with him posting where it is advertised cheaper though.

If you meant the shops where AndrewsBrew could have saved a small amount by shopping around separately i have no problem with AndrewsBrew posting links.

Here are the links that I would have saved over £35 after being messed about by the 'unknown company!'

From the Homebrew Company

The Grainfather Connect (Incs FREE Mash Kit and Steriliser) NEW MODEL
£675 standard price, £641.25 with 5% forum discount. Free delivery on single item over £70.
http://[URL="http://www.thehom...d-steriliser-new-model-p-3531.html]Link"Link 1

From the Home Brew Shop
Grainfather Sparge Water Heater £84
Free carriage on orders over £65
http://[URL="http://www.the-ho...ainfather-Sparge-Water-Heater.html]Link"Link 2

Totals:
£641.25 + £84 = £725.25

Not only is it cheaper by over £35 than what I ended up paying, but you gain an extra steriliser.

Nice to see The Home Brew Shop mentioned, been using them for the last 25 years.

In the other day and noticed they had some dented S/S boilers at reduced price.

Hi AndrewsBrew,

I sincerely apologise you felt you were left with a sour taste in your mouth following the purchase from my company. We strive very hard to provide the best customer service in the industry. The Grainfather promotion we run was for a Latest Model Grainfather, complete with a free SS Grainfather fermenter and a free all grain mash kit of your choice. As this is such a good offer it is exempt from the 5% members discount. The RRP for a Latest Model Grainfather is £750.00, the Get 'er brewed bundle deal was for £750.00 but you could receive free additions worth over £100

I note you have highlighted if you had bought off two other companies separately you would have saved a little but that is based on them also honouring a discount code of 5%, we sponsor the forum here and are always keen to support the members so I am confident we should have the best deals for you guys. I don't think these other links are sponsors of the forum to the best of my knowledge.

I genuinely hope you will shop with us again and if you do please add a note in the comment box at checkout for my attention and I will add something free to make up for any issues on this occasion

Kind Regards

Jonathan

The Grainfather promotion we run was for a Latest Model Grainfather, complete with a free SS Grainfather fermenter and a free all grain mash kit of your choice. As this is such a good offer it is exempt from the 5% members discount. The RRP for a Latest Model Grainfather is �£750.00, the Get 'er brewed bundle deal was for �£750.00

It came with a sparge water heater, not a fermenter.

What upset me was the order and discount code was accepted and payment made on the day of order but you then contacted me the next day day and told me to pay back all the discount and pay an additional £4.50 delivery charge too if I wanted the items. You should had have a notification on the website that the deal bundle was exempt from the 5% members discount or at least not allowed the code to work. Also there were other items not part of the bundle offer in that order. I am self employed and would never treat my own customers like this and would have taken the knock and honoured the discounted price.

I've since had orders with other home brew suppliers, some of whom do accept discount codes and I've haven't any problems with codes being reneged on.

Back