Should older drivers be retested or have a competency assessment?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should older drivers be retested or have a competency assessment?

• Yes.

• No.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
tttttttt.jpg

Watch - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39617575

Desreen Brooks died when an 83-year-old man lost control of his car because he mistook the accelerator for brake his partner is now campaigning for all drivers over 70 to be retested every 3 years, as Frank says in the video "non of us gets sharper as we age i can see i am not as sharp as i was 10 or 15 years ago and that must apply when i am driving my car and i think its a good idea"

I also think it is a good idea and would be happy to take the test.

This poll is about older drivers we all know young inexperienced drivers also cause accidents but this is about age having an effect on your ability to drive safely.

I would think any reasonable bod would too.. no one rational wants to be involved in or worse the cause of an accident.

I am approaching 69 years of age and at present feel comfortable with my driving. Probably driving better now than in my youth, NO certainly better now. Possibly refresher courses for over 70's!,even for younger drivers and new arrivals to our shores perhaps,plenty of those who could do with it:twisted:. Re testing every three years from 70 :nono:,i would perhaps go along with re testing from 75.
Lets face it how many would pass a retest even at a younger age,not too many i would guess.

I would think any reasonable bod would too.. no one rational wants to be involved in or worse the cause of an accident.

The problem is losing your car is such a life changer many will not admit they are no longer fit enough.

I am approaching 69 years of age and at present feel comfortable with my driving. Probably driving better now than in my youth, NO certainly better now. Possibly refresher courses

Maybe 70 is too young and a full test probably a bit over the top but a competency test of some sort would find the ones that are not fit.

Title edited - Should older drivers be retested or have a competency assessment?

But older drivers already have to be tested. A friend of mine is up for it. He's in his early seventies.

Maybe 70 is too young and a full test probably a bit over the top but a competency test of some sort would find the ones that are not fit.
Mmmmmmmm,why not at 60 or 65?. Not sure where the magic figure of 70 came from. Personally i don't drive nearly as much these days and could just about manage without a car and most probably will do so in a few years time.
I must say i do wonder about some of the REALLY old ones driving however:mrgreen:
some of those who can hardly get into the damn car,let alone drive one:doh:.

I'm not far off the time where I have to re-apply for my licence at 70.
I'm not against a retest, but not at 70, like @chub1 I think 75 is better. Also if I had to be retested I have a motorbike and car licence to deal with, so how do you cater for that?
However I think the age related test should be more about driving appropriate to road conditions, and reactions to potential hazards rather than things like knowing road signs. For example how many time do you get stuck behind an elderly person driving at 35 mph holding everybody up when 50mph is entirely safe. That said I was out yesterday and came across 3 young idiot bikers showing off, wheelies etc, an accident waiting to happen I thought and that from a fellow biker. And finally any new test should include a health check to weed out those who are simply too infirm to be driving, sad though it may be.

Mmmmmmmm,why not at 60 or 65?. Not sure where the magic figure of 70 came from.

I am not sure either but it may be something to do with renewing your licence at 70 as discussed above.

However I think the age related test should be more about driving appropriate to road conditions, and reactions to potential hazards rather than things like knowing road signs.

I agree Terry so changed the title to - Should older drivers be retested or have a competency assessment.

My father is in his 80s and diagnosed with alzheimer's, but he was really upset when they restricted his licence (we asked him to check because he got lost.) I would wonder about the mental state of someone who thinks they drive better at 69 than they did when younger, too! :lol:

Long before this he was having little accidents regularly, but a car is a dangerous thing.

This was quite the subject in our house a few weeks ago as an elderly man died after travelling in the wrong direction on Huddersfield ring road :

http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/man-dies-after-driving-wrong-12708783

The thing is is that a few weeks prior to the above accident an elderly lady crashed in to the back of my car while I was waiting at some lights, there wasn't much damage and I was more concerned about her as the shock of the bump seemed to leave her struggling to breathe, after she'd calmed down she said she just didn't see me. I was the only person at those lights, if she didn't see me then would she have seen the red light ? could she have seen a child on a crossing ? if i hadn't been there to stop her and she'd run the red light things could have been a hell of a lot worse.

My father is in his 80s and diagnosed with alzheimer's, but he was really upset when they restricted his licence (we asked him to check because he got lost.) I would wonder about the mental state of someone who thinks they drive better at 69 than they did when younger, too! :lol:

Long before this he was having little accidents regularly, but a car is a dangerous thing.
I consider my driving to be far better than in my mad youth,when my driving probably left a lot to be desired. Sorry if you find that funny:tongue:

There are two separate issues here; Are you fit enough medically to drive and secondly do you have the knowledge ,awareness and experience to keep driving.

The first is mandatory at 70 and all drivers will be tested medically at that age.

Post edited - from the OP - This poll is about older drivers we all know young inexperienced drivers also cause accidents but this is about age having an effect on your ability to drive safely.

I consider my driving to be far better than in my mad youth,when my driving probably left a lot to be desired. Sorry if you find that funny:tongue:

Absolutely, I used to drive far too fast and for teh first year was petrified to drive on any unknown roads. I am now a perfectly competent driver who can foresee situations based on past experience (lots of it, 48 years) and unlike lots of phone using drivers keep my eyes on the road well ahead for dangers.

Vehicles get tested once a year to see if they are fit to be on the road. Why not the people who operate said vehicles - irrespective of age?

Latest posts

Back