Mash keeps compacting with Grainfather

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did my brew today, I added an extra 1.5 litres of mash water and used a tea strainer - no mash trouble whatsoever. I did, however, add the middle pipe upside down which meant after doughing in I couldn't place the top grate or overflow pipe :doh:. I took it out and turned it around, I think this may have got more grains in my boil, but towards the end of the mash my wort was running clearest it's ever been on the GF so far.

During the boil I put hops in muslin cloths. I had one addition at 60 mins and another 5 mins into the CFC recirc. I'll have to see how well these flavour additions come out, but I managed to reduce lost wort and had the highest volume in the FV I've ever had too.

I tried using a tea strainer and it instantly caught every fine particle in the mash and blocked, it was a very fine strainer mind you. The videos I've seen us a sink strainer as it's a lot coarser.

I get this sort of issue a lot too. I like the idea of stirring the mash after 15mins and will try to remember this.

The only thing I can add to what has been posted before is that I have used a sieve after the sparge, while the wort is coming up to a boil, to remove small grain particles. It is a bit tedious and you have to fish around a bit, but this is a very slow part of the brewing day anyway and it might help.

I tried using a tea strainer and it instantly caught every fine particle in the mash and blocked, it was a very fine strainer mind you. The videos I've seen us a sink strainer as it's a lot coarser.

My last brew I had that issue with my sink strainer, so I ended up switching the pump off, rinsing the strainer, replacing and putting the pump back on quite a few times. Certainly got all of the floating grain out though.

Rye is awful stuff you need rice hulls in with it....

As for mash +1 on adding the extra litre, I just sparge one less then. I'm not sure about the not overflowing though, all my brews are full bore as this regulates the water temperature. If you let it sit it will be going cold on top and too hot at the bottom.

Also take out the ball and spring is a must just be careful when you turn the pump on!

I've noticed something else the Grainfather does. Sometimes it decides to aerate the wort. Does anyone else get this? Loads of air comes out the recirc pipe and I get loads of foam gathering on top of the mash. I think it's something to do with how tight the overflow pipe is screwed on, but sometimes it can be screwed on right and this will still happen. Also happens randomly if I stop the mash to stir the grain, when I turn the flow back on it will gather loads of foam.

When you stop the pump it fills with air so when you turn back on you will get that initially. If you don't like it you can lift out the out pipe until the air has gone but can't see it causing any trouble unless you are really full and close to rim?

I've noticed something else the Grainfather does. Sometimes it decides to aerate the wort. Does anyone else get this? Loads of air comes out the recirc pipe and I get loads of foam gathering on top of the mash. I think it's something to do with how tight the overflow pipe is screwed on, but sometimes it can be screwed on right and this will still happen. Also happens randomly if I stop the mash to stir the grain, when I turn the flow back on it will gather loads of foam.

If you are stopping the pump without closing the valve first it will draw air back down and could potentially suck some grain back down along with it which could stick in or around the valve, if you do close the valve first and then disconnect the sparge pipe then it will contain some wort which will spill.

I just keep my pump running the whole time, once the mash has finished lift the sparge tube out of the wort, shut of the pump and allow the sparge pipe to drain and then shut of the valve, i really don't see the need to stir the mash once you start the recirculation, just leave it to do it's thing by starting slow and building up the pump flow gradually and you should end up with a very good conversion. If you leave the lid of and stir occasionally all you do is increase the heat loss.

slow and careful mashing in ensuring all the grain is moist and well mixed in before applying the top plate firmly in place should be all the mixing needed. scoop in the grain and mix in before the next scoop dont pour it in from the mixing barrel to be sure. even tho i often do..

Just jug out 1/2-1l of liquor before you drop in the malt tube and any grain, use this to rinse off the dust/grain from the malt tube walls into the mash before adding the top plate

if the silicone ring around the top plate grabs the malt tube wall a spray of starsan will lubricate and let it slide down ;)

dont be afraid to push down firmly, you want the grain under an even compression to avoid channeling..

again not having had the problem i can only surmise there are voids of liquid or dry matter trapped within the mash??
and offer the above as how i use my g/f?

Back