AG Brew Day #3 Greg Hughes Summer Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jafski

Reaction score
Having a stab at this one today from the Malt Miller AG Kit.

Had 600g of Maris Otter left over so have added that for a bit more ABV (4kg instead of 3.4kg). Also going to Dry hop with 25g of the Progress.

Malt Miller sent 100g of EKG & Progress so have enough hops to do this one again if it's a good one.

Pale Malt (Maris Otter) 4 kg
Crystal Malt 0.3 kg

EKG 20g 60 mins
Progress 15g 60 mins
EKG 15g 10 mins
Progress 10g 10 mins
EKG 15g 0 mins

Adding at 10 mins rather than 30 in the Greg Hughes Recipe as per an old thread on here by Tony1951 - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=54656

Got the mash temp bang on 65.6'C. Just waiting to start sparging.

I fancied doing this, but it was a little darker than I had in mind. I also couldn't get progress through GEB, so I modified the recipe into an EKG/Fuggles/cascade golden ale.

I'd be interested to hear how the proper version turns out!

I fancied doing this, but it was a little darker than I had in mind. I also couldn't get progress through GEB, so I modified the recipe into an EKG/Fuggles/cascade golden ale.

Yes, was darker than I was expecting if I'm honest. Will let you know. All done, got 25l into the FV at 1.038, target of 1.040. I'm using Safale 05 (had a sachet left) though so I expect a high attenuation. Target ABV was 4.3% so should be there or thereabouts.

Was a dream brew day. Pics to follow.

Here's some pics.

image3.jpg

image2.jpg

image1.jpg

OK, so It's been in the bottle one day shy of two weeks, and I couldn't wait any longer.

Very drinkable. Very dry, but then I used Safale 05, nicely rounded with the malt character holding it's own against the hops well, slightly sweet finish and slightly fruity.

Does taste a little new, so can't wait to see what it's like in another two weeks.

Bearing in mind I added the extra Maris Otter, which if I hadn't I think it would have been more hoppy, and if I'm honest better balanced.
But, I'm well happy with it. So I'd recommend brewing it and will probably try it again as intended.

IMG_2547.jpg

OK, so It's been in the bottle one day shy of two weeks, and I couldn't wait any longer.

Very drinkable. Very dry, but then I used Safale 05, nicely rounded with the malt character holding it's own against the hops well, slightly sweet finish and slightly fruity.

Does taste a little new, so can't wait to see what it's like in another two weeks.

Bearing in mind I added the extra Maris Otter, which if I hadn't I think it would have been more hoppy, and if I'm honest better balanced.
But, I'm well happy with it. So I'd recommend brewing it and will probably try it again as intended.

Good to hear. Funnily enough I'm having my sample bottle of the golden ale I brewed instead of this tonight once the kids are in bed.

Good to hear. Funnily enough I'm having my sample bottle of the golden ale I brewed instead of this tonight once the kids are in bed.

It's beautiful. It's still a bit young and I forgot the protofloc so it's cloudy but it's lovely. Very drinkable and the cascade adds a little something extra tomit! If I'm being super picky I'd maybe up the bitterness and increase the cascade a touch but otherwise it's exactly what I was aiming for!

It's beautiful. It's still a bit young and I forgot the protofloc so it's cloudy but it's lovely. Very drinkable and the cascade adds a little something extra tomit! If I'm being super picky I'd maybe up the bitterness and increase the cascade a touch but otherwise it's exactly what I was aiming for!

What was your grain bill for the golden ale if you don't mind me asking?

What was your grain bill for the golden ale if you don't mind me asking?

100% Maris Otter. My efficiency is 65% so it was 4.25kg. It was supposed to give me 4.11% but the S-04 took it to 1.008 so it's around 4.2%

I'm planning on sneaking a minikeg into my brother in law's wedding (kept in my room) so I needed to keep it pale enough to remain unnoticed.

Hop schedule is attached

IMG_2111.PNG

100% Maris Otter. My efficiency is 65% so it was 4.25kg. It was supposed to give me 4.11% but the S-04 took it to 1.008 so it's around 4.2%

I'm planning on sneaking a minikeg into my brother in law's wedding (kept in my room) so I needed to keep it pale enough to remain unnoticed.

Hop schedule is attached

Thanks for that. I want to perfect a golden/blonde/summer ale as one of my stock brews so that's useful info. Cheers.

Good luck with the wedding smuggling! :lol:

Latest posts

Back