Braumeister Brew 3 - Belgian Pale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serum

Landlord.
Reaction score
For my third brew on the Braumeister I thought I'd do something to use up my 500 ml bottles so I went for a Pale ale. I want it to be fairly sweet yet light. It's a tweak of a beer I did last year and unfortunately I couldn't get the Antwerp Ale yeast so went for the one that I found closest to it.

It's the base yeast for Orval so I saved some to do another clone of that for my next brew. When I saved a bit of the base beer without any brettanomyces it was pretty clean and refreshing with minimal Belgian character so it should be good in this.

Target OG - 1.052
Target FG - 1.012
IBU - 30
Yeast - WLP510 Bastogne Ale
Vol - 22L

MASH:
40C - Mash in with 24L water
57C - 15 mins
62C - 15 mins
66C - 30 mins
71C - 15 mins
78C - 10 mins mash out

4kg Dingemans Pale
500g Dingemans Caravienne
50g Carafa 3

BOIL - 90 mins

Top up with 8L water
50g Bobek - 60mins
20g Saaz - 30 mins
30g Saaz & 20g Bobek - 5 mins

Everything went according to plan and I hit my OG bang on so this is away fermenting now. It's a bit darker than I thought it'd be but it should be pretty nice. I'm aiming for about 5.3% which is about as low as I get!

This was the first time I used my new hop spider so I need to get my head round whether the hop flavour will be lower than I've planned. Updates to follow!

Back