cornie/crusader keg heights

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidney

Reaction score
hi.

i will finally be getting back into brewing shortly after a move and real life getting in the way but the one thing i was hoping to avoid this time is the bottling!

so for this attempt i was thinking of the under counter fridge approach with a couple of 20l kegs in them.

after trawling the internet it seems cornies or the crusader kegs are the way to go but the one piece of info i cant seem to track down is the total heights of them with the fittings attached, i think this will matter more with the crusader one as the sanke connector looks huge with the pipe coming out the top.

so the short question is would any of you with either system be able to tell me the shortest space you can stuff one or the other keg into with all its plumbing attached?

thanks in advanced

sid

I have 3 cornies ,2 are Italian made and 560 high and the other 640 the quick disconnect are 5.5cm high
When connected up the quick disconnect only peeps above the cornie handles by around 5/8 inch

I have 3 cornies ,2 are Italian made and 560 high and the other 640 the quick disconnect are 5.5cm high
When connected up the quick disconnect only peeps above the cornie handles by around 5/8 inch

That's what I like to see, quoting in millimetres, centimetres and inches in one post. Bravo sir!

That's what I like to see, quoting in millimetres, centimetres and inches in one post. Bravo sir!
that is the result of being educated in imperial and having to re learn the metric system after my schooldays were finished so that puts me in the bracket of multi tasking in measurements automatically,not many younger guns can do that without thinking about it:wink:

Ok, had a measure up.

The shorter cornie is 56.5 cm high, and with a standard disconnect you would need 60cm as a bare minimum. (with the MM one this would be 59cm)

The taller one is 63.5cm high, and with a Malt Miller S/S right angle disconnect you would need 66cm as a bare minimum (with the standard one this would be 67cm)

The MM disconnect gains you 1cm.

With the above tight clearance you would not be able to fit or remove the disconnects whilst in the fridge.

thank you very much all, that was helpful, i will now go with my tape measure and find a fridge suitable :)

A 30l Crusader keg is 365mm high, then add the height of the fitting. I would imagine that the total would be shorter than a Cornie.

i have been measuring fridges to peoples odd looks so far and the fridges without the ice boxes seem to have up to 77cm head space, its the compressor bulge in the bottom that's the issue on some.

30l crusader? not seen that and it seems really short! the 20l from what i have read is about 590mm?

i have been measuring fridges to peoples odd looks so far and the fridges without the ice boxes seem to have up to 77cm head space, its the compressor bulge in the bottom that's the issue on some.

30l crusader? not seen that and it seems really short! the 20l from what i have read is about 590mm?

Yeh! The 20l is slimline, not much bigger than a cornie. You should be able to get two in most fridges. The 30l is easier from a height point of view, but you will only be able to fit one in the fridge, unless you have a tall fridge and you can get one above the other.

With an elbow bend (such as the one from the malt miller) fitted on the connector, the overall height of the 20 litre crusader keg is approx 630mm. Beware though; some of the imported connectors have a slightly larger thread that does not allow the elbow bend to be fitted! Hope this helps.
For what it's worth I love my crusader kegs, but as cornies are more used by home brewers, it may be easier to stick with them, as the various bits and pieces, fittings etc (and knowledge!) are more readily available.

sorry for the long reply but i am now set up with 2 crusader 20l kegs, have tried them to my beer taps i have and they are working well ( full of water mind you)

my first brew is fermenting now so hope to keg it soon, thank you for all your experience :)

Latest posts

Back