Corny Carb Issues

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spook123_uk

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been successfully using corny's for a while now in a home made kegerator with some flow control valves.

I have a new and strange issue... My newly brewed California common has been sat force carbon for 2 weeks at about 20 psi (same as I always do) and it's now on the line at 15 psi to serve (again, same as always) and has been sat there for nearly a week.

When I pour, I get a quick fizz noise from inside the line with co2 coming out of suspension and it pours with 6nearly all head and tastes a quite a bit flat. I've de-gassed, taken it apart and checked all seals. There are no issues there. It's also not losing pressure..

It's also the same as my other beers in here (and in this keg previously) and there have been no issue with those!

Any ideas?! I'm stumped.

a number of factors can evacuate all the co2 dissolved in a beer.

Generally the root can be traced to a dramatic change in state somewhere along the line between the keg and tap.

a rapid rise in temperature along the beer line can do it, as can a dramatic drop in pressure at release

a kink in the beerline causing a turbulent flow can do it and even badly cut beer line ends inserted into a JG fitting.

cutting beerline ends with shears or scissors before fitting in a jg fitting can do it the scissors or shears will deform the tube before cutting and when relaxed back to the circular tube form the face of the cut will be not be straight leaving 2 small turbulence causing gaps when the tube id pushed home into a fitting,, after typing that you gonna say your not using JG fittings ;)

15 psi seems a lil high for a flow control tap?? i use the black plastic dalex style and find anything above 6-8psi serving pressure is impossible to tune in on the tap needing an annoying fiddle each pour while the lower conditioned ales are simply a case of set the tap once and leave it for the kegs duration.

It's a weird one. I've alway like them quite highly carbed so have always set to 15 which seems to be about right. It pours nice and slow thanks to the flow control but is still quite fizzy (for a beer).

I use a sharp stanley knife when cutting the line to make sure it's not squashed during the cut. To rule out this, I've also swapped on to another tap line that's spare at the moment and it's doing the same.

I can try turning it down and letting it settle out to see if that helps.

Funnily enough I have had exactly the same thing happen last week, although this keg was over half way through with no previous issues.

The only thing I can think of is that some beer has gunked up the tap (I have noticed there is a perceivable sticking when the tap is first opened). This hunch is based on the fact that I have 3 cornies on tap at the same time so some of the taps have not been used for while.

Next job is to clean the lines ant tap and see if this makes a difference.

I'll get the dip tube out later and check it.

Can't be the lines in need of cleaning as I had only done them the night before along with the taps

Right... I've had both tubes out of the keg and there's no issue there.

One think I have noticed (which could be the style of beer being a california common?). I popped one of the bottles to compare to last night. Whilst fizzy, just the way I like it... I noticed through taste that the bubbles seem a lot "smaller" than usual. It's a real fine type of carbonation almost like those smooth pour's that you get on draught.

I'm sure I'm not imagining it as the wife confirmed too

Latest posts

Back