Help with choosing immersion

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJBrewTime

Reaction score
I started my first home brew yesterday and am struggling to keep a nice temp. On the LCD thermometer strip the colours are lit up on 16/18/20 at the moment and it's in the living room but it has to be moved (blame the Mrs!)

I've seem some other threads on here about the immersion heaters and a 2nd thermometer.

I guess I need to get this resolved ASAP so was thinking about doing the water bath method in a spare room as I have one of those flexi builders buckets that my FV will hopefully fit in.

Does anyone know if this aquarium heater from Argos will do the trick seeing as I need to get it today?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4342953.htm

I can also use my smoker's meat thermometer to measure the temp several times a day? (see image)

Thanks guys

FullSizeRender.jpg

Yes, that will do the job. Expensive compared to what you could get off fleabay but it should do the trick.

Set it to the low end of the yeasts preferred range (probably 18-19 degrees). Your meat probe can be used to calibrate it.

Ok great thanks.

I'm seeing conflicting information about whether to use a 50w or 100w in a water bath. My FV is a 27ltr bucket but has 23L of fluid in it right now - Any idea what I should go for?

I don't use one but imagine as long as they have a thermostat either would do the job.

Latest posts

Back