plum and rhubarb

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vassili

Reaction score
I've got quite a lot of both in my freezer, I rather fancy making up a gallon of this but unsure on how to go about it being frozen, I'm guessing once thawed add a few pounds of sugar and boiling water leave to cool and pitch yeast, leave in the bucket f for a week or so then strain into dj.
Any thoughts on things that should be added, or method change.
Cheers,
J.

I would use 5- 6lb of rhubarb per gallon, defrost in the bucket for a few hours add 4 pints boiling water stir and crush , cool add 2 teaspoons pectolose per gallon. Stir and crush for three days then run through muslin twisting to remove max juice , you can work out how many gallons your going to make , so say you have one half gallon of juice and water, you can add your sugar dissolved in a couple of pints of boiling water. then top up to a couple pints below 2 gallon (you need a space in your demijohns)with either water, white grape juice , grape concentrate or apple juice. Then add i teaspoon of yeast nutrient per gallon and a german type, low alcohol yeast. ferment for a 3-4 days in bucket then transfer to demijohns to complete fermentation. acid can be adjusted before bottling with citric acid powder. i would use two and half pound white sugar per gallon reduce slightly if sugar in any juices you use. taste when fermentation slows , if too dry add a little sugar syrup, you can sweeten once it finished fermenting and been racked a couple of times with a non fermentable sweetener like Truvia, be careful its strong stuff.. I would make crumble with the plums.

Blimey that's a very comprehensive answer, thank you!
I buy the huge French sweet purple plums from the fruit market by the tray each year, some for brandy, lots for crumble and some for making hfw,s bread and butter pudding which is a faff but to die for.
Thanks again, appreciated.

Please tell me about the bread and butter pudding i have 2 plum trees and love B&B pudding. with ice cream, custard, clotted cream or all three lol.

Back