mash water

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leedexter

Reaction score
Hi,
I am looking for some advice,I have decided to go all grain and have read all of palmers advice but I cant seem to get my head around water chemistry.
My water report is 115 ca
53 mg
69 na
184 so
490 CaCO3
My initial idea was to buy a r/o machine and dilute the tap water with 50% r/o water which brings the magnesium and calcium down but still leaves the hardness way too high for pale ales.My question is am I stressing too much over it or is there a way to get the water ideal for a pale ale.I dont really want to go down the botlled water route.
Thanks in advance
Lee

I think you might be stressing out a bit,

i would suggest for your first few brews you ignore the water treatment beyond adding a campden tab to neutralise chlorine etc and perhaps a quick boil to reduce temporary hardness

I think the difference in result between ag and kits will be sufficiently pleasing, then once you have the basic brewday procedure under your belt reconsider looking into the water chemistry.

And there are short cuts ;)

you can always buy bottled water close to your desired profile @ circa £1 per 5l..

Our local tropical fish emporium will supply RO water foc for the asking and didnt bat an eye when i fessed up i was a brewer not a fish keeper, i did end up buying a book of ph indicators out of guilt during the LOOOOONG wait for the RO water tho (useless range for brewing ho hum;)

Cheers for that,I already had to go to bottled water for extract because Hartlepool water is ridiculously hard so I might just buy some bottled water in for the first few brews and then see how I go.

Latest posts

Back