Vermont ale yeast propagation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geetee

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just received a vial of White labs Vermont ale yeast from Malt Miller at £8.00 a tube.

Not only is it expensive but also frequently out of stock so for cost and reliable supply when needed is it possible.

a) crop from a brew , is there a big enough krausen
b) better to split into 2 (or more ) store some and create starters as needed?

Which is the better option, if any?

Was thinking exactly the same myself, my malt Miller delivery comes tomorrow. I'm Gona do a 2 litre starter, which should be more than enough cells for my NEIPA. Then pinch 500ml before I pitch it and store that in the fridge.

Was thinking exactly the same myself, my malt Miller delivery comes tomorrow. I'm Gona do a 2 litre starter, which should be more than enough cells for my NEIPA. Then pinch 500ml before I pitch it and store that in the fridge.

I suppose doing that you still have a portion of the original yeast and then it may still be possible to crop the brew during fermentation.

I wasn't sure whether to split the vial into 2 or more before making a starter rather than halving the starter itself. Not sure how long split vials will last on their own.

I would over build the starter or just use the dregs from a bottle to build a new starter. Vermont is best after being used once - or whatever the technical term is

I would over build the starter or just use the dregs from a bottle to build a new starter. Vermont is best after being used once - or whatever the technical term is

You mean second generation?

I know a local microbrewery and it is virtually his house yeast and he just reuses from batch to batch.

Latest posts

Back