Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Grain, Hops, Yeast & Water > Beginners Guide to Water Treatment

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-03-2017, 10:50 PM   #171
BeerCat
Senior Member
 
BeerCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Leicester
Posts: 1,752
Liked 423 Times on 343 Posts
Likes Given: 598

Default

Planning on doing a stout using US05. 5% cold steeped roast barley and 5% roast barley in the mash. Question is would i adjust the alkalinity and calcium for a brown beer instead of dark? Thanks Steve, i am adjusting all my water now.


__________________
Fermenting Chocolate Vanilla Oatmeal Stout, Punk IPA clone, Jaipur IPA clone, Rye IPA (my recipe), Black Rye IPA (my recipe), Cyser
Conditioning IPA, Wheat Beer, Mead
Drinking Stout, Wheat Beer, London Porter
BeerCat is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 10:55 PM   #172
strange-steve
Quantum Brewer
 
strange-steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Galle Crater, Mars
Posts: 1,213
Liked 579 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerCat View Post
Planning on doing a stout using US05. 5% cold steeped roast barley and 5% roast barley in the mash. Question is would i adjust the alkalinity and calcium for a brown beer instead of dark? Thanks Steve, i am adjusting all my water now.
Yeah that sounds about right to me


__________________
"We're all puppets... I'm just a puppet who can see the strings."
strange-steve is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 10:59 PM   #173
BeerCat
Senior Member
 
BeerCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Leicester
Posts: 1,752
Liked 423 Times on 343 Posts
Likes Given: 598

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by strange-steve View Post
Yeah that sounds about right to me
Thanks Steve, i forgot to ask is it worth adding any acid malt? A bit unsure as to if it adds any flavour or just lowers the PH.
__________________
Fermenting Chocolate Vanilla Oatmeal Stout, Punk IPA clone, Jaipur IPA clone, Rye IPA (my recipe), Black Rye IPA (my recipe), Cyser
Conditioning IPA, Wheat Beer, Mead
Drinking Stout, Wheat Beer, London Porter
BeerCat is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 11:21 PM   #174
strange-steve
Quantum Brewer
 
strange-steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Galle Crater, Mars
Posts: 1,213
Liked 579 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerCat View Post
Thanks Steve, i forgot to ask is it worth adding any acid malt? A bit unsure as to if it adds any flavour or just lowers the PH.
It depends really on what style you're going for. If it's a sweet stout or oatmeal stout then no I'd leave it out, but if you want something with more of a tangy acidic bite like Guinness then acid malt might be worth considering. I think Guinness used to be made with a partial sour mash to give it that tangy flavour, though not sure if they still do that or just add lactic acid nowadays. I think @Gerryjo uses acid malt in his stout recipe, he might be able to help.
__________________
"We're all puppets... I'm just a puppet who can see the strings."
strange-steve is offline  
BeerCat Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 11:56 PM   #175
Gerryjo
Senior Member
 
Gerryjo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Derry,Northern Ireland
Posts: 871
Liked 264 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by strange-steve View Post
It depends really on what style you're going for. If it's a sweet stout or oatmeal stout then no I'd leave it out, but if you want something with more of a tangy acidic bite like Guinness then acid malt might be worth considering. I think Guinness used to be made with a partial sour mash to give it that tangy flavour, though not sure if they still do that or just add lactic acid nowadays. I think @Gerryjo uses acid malt in his stout recipe, he might be able to help.
No haven't used acid malt only roasted barley 500g and 1 kg of wheat.I have ordered some chocolate Malt and I'll add some rolled oats as although the stout is nice it is lacking a slight mouth feel to it.
As regards to the PH I don't check mine as it's around a PH 6 as it soft water and nice to drink👍🍺
Gerryjo is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 12:13 AM   #176
strange-steve
Quantum Brewer
 
strange-steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Galle Crater, Mars
Posts: 1,213
Liked 579 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryjo View Post
No haven't used acid malt only roasted barley 500g and 1 kg of wheat.I have ordered some chocolate Malt and I'll add some rolled oats as although the stout is nice it is lacking a slight mouth feel to it.
As regards to the PH I don't check mine as it's around a PH 6 as it soft water and nice to drink👍🍺
Apologies it was actually @GlentoranMark who mentioned acid malt in his Guinness clone, I knew it was a local boy
__________________
"We're all puppets... I'm just a puppet who can see the strings."
strange-steve is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 08:04 AM   #177
Gerryjo
Senior Member
 
Gerryjo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Derry,Northern Ireland
Posts: 871
Liked 264 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by strange-steve View Post
Apologies it was actually @GlentoranMark who mentioned acid malt in his Guinness clone, I knew it was a local boy
No worries as I would guess it makes for a tasty stout.


Gerryjo is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Basic beginners guide to brewing your own beer from a kit terrym Beer Kit Brewing Discussion. 1 20-03-2017 07:57 PM
Another BIAB guide for beginners(ish)! Manitude Beer Brewing "How-To" Guides 5 17-11-2014 09:03 PM
Water treatment oldjiver Beer Brewdays! 13 21-06-2013 01:40 PM
water treatment johnluc Grain, Hops, Yeast & Water 6 20-06-2011 10:33 PM
Water Treatment periolus Grain, Hops, Yeast & Water 3 11-01-2011 07:44 PM

Newest Threads