Beer not hitting target Gravity

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two thermometers is good, at least mash temp can be trusted, that rules out one possible anomally.

Suspecting that a target of 1.010 was a bit low, I've put all the figures into Beersmith, and trying a range of British dried yeasts (Notty, Windsor, S04) the lowest predicted FG are 1.012-13. Those are the high end attenuation figures, assuming good yeast health, wort containing the correct mineral content and correct pitch rate (which 10g of dried yeast isn't), I'm thinking 1.016 is probably the nearest you'll get. Thoughts?

If you've measured gravity over a couple of days with no movement I'd just bottle it. If it tastes good then excellent, if it tastes bad you've gained some brewing experience. As I understand it, high final gravity doesn't necessarily mean sweet tasting beer. It depends what sort of sugars have been left behind. Dextrins, for example, are unfermentable but apparently tasteless in the end product. You'll just have a lower abv than you expected (means you can drink more!).

As has been said, the yeast used is going to be one of the main factors determining your level of attenuation. Your final gravity can vary massively depending on which strain you use. To reach 1010 fg from a 1052 og you would need a relatively high attenuating yeast (higher than a lot of English strains give) plus possibly a lower mash temp than 67.

I find final gravity can often end up higher (or lower) than than is predicted by brewing software as it doesn't account for things like crystal malt containing a larger proportion of unfermentable sugars.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Well nothing has moved gravity wise and with wanting the space back I'm going to bottle and condition this Ruby and see what happens, what would be people preferred volumes of CO2 for a beer of this style, I was thinking around 1.7 making it about 50g of Sugar for the small batch volume of about 15 litres , don't want it to carbonated but still enough sugar to rouse the yeast into doing something in the bottle.

I normally aim for 2.0 in bottle, I like to have enough to form a bit of a head. Once tried 1.5 but found it a bit low (I think I'm conditioned to expect more fizz from bottled beers!). 1.7 would probably be fine, especially for this style of beer. One consideration is the affect the carbonation will have on the body/mouthfeel - if you're concerned the beer might be a bit full bodied, higher carbonation is a way of making it seem a bit lighter.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back