Coopers IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi just about to brew a Coopers IPA.
I have 1kg Brewing Sugar & 500g
Muntons light Spray Malt.
U recommend I use all brew sugar or reduce to say
700/750g?
Was thinking dry hopping with Challenger for 3 to 5 days. Any.comments.ty

i would reduce the sugar to 750g use the other 250g for bottling, after dry hopping i would use 30g hops but more if you like it hoppy, then rack into a bottling bucket off the yeast and let it clean up for a week or so then in the cold for a week then bottle. the back into warmth for 2 weeks, then back into cold to condition

Hi

I'm going to have a go at this in next week, I'd appreciate some feedback about my intended recipe...

Coopers IPA

1 x Finishing Hop Pellets - American Palisade - 12g pack
1 x Muntons Spraymalt Hopped Light 500g
1 x Muntons Spraymalt Medium 500g

I'm also going to add a can of golden syrup.

What do do you think? Do you think this will be a good mix? Should I add some sugar too? I'm hoping to bring the ABV down from my last attempts...

I hope yours turns out well!!

Kakistos

Hi

I'm going to have a go at this in next week, I'd appreciate some feedback about my intended recipe...

Coopers IPA

1 x Finishing Hop Pellets - American Palisade - 12g pack
1 x Muntons Spraymalt Hopped Light 500g
1 x Muntons Spraymalt Medium 500g

I'm also going to add a can of golden syrup.

What do do you think? Do you think this will be a good mix? Should I add some sugar too? I'm hoping to bring the ABV down from my last attempts...

I hope yours turns out well!!

Kakistos
I assume you have a can of the new Brew A IPA, which for me was disappointing :-?.
However if you are going to dry hop your beer you will find that 12g basically gets lost. In my experience the start point is 25g and I normally use 50g or even more. Some kits even come with 100g pellets. I did this kit with 25g Cascade and 25g Centennial and even then the hop bite was a bit underwhelming. If you decide to get additional hops try Crossmyloofbrewery (search this forum), their service is good.
You are intending to use hopped DME. In my view the problem there is that you have no idea what type of hops are in there. Better use something that you can identify which was a lesson I learned very early on when I returned to home brewing. So use more unhopped DME or a pot of Holland and Barrett LME which might still be on offer, plus the extra hops I mentioned.
Finally Golden Syrup is OK, but may bring its own unique flavour to the brew, which you may or may not want. I now only use it in stouts.

I assume you have a can of the new Brew A IPA, which for me was disappointing :-?.
However if you are going to dry hop your beer you will find that 12g basically gets lost. In my experience the start point is 25g and I normally use 50g or even more. Some kits even come with 100g pellets. I did this kit with 25g Cascade and 25g Centennial and even then the hop bite was a bit underwhelming. If you decide to get additional hops try Crossmyloofbrewery (search this forum), their service is good.
You are intending to use hopped DME. In my view the problem there is that you have no idea what type of hops are in there. Better use something that you can identify which was a lesson I learned very early on when I returned to home brewing. So use more unhopped DME or a pot of Holland and Barrett LME which might still be on offer, plus the extra hops I mentioned.
Finally Golden Syrup is OK, but may bring its own unique flavour to the brew, which you may or may not want. I now only use it in stouts.

I find Golden Syrup is also good in Bitters. As Terry says it brings it own flavour, which I'm not so sure would be good for an IPA

Back