First brew nerves!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ford-hop

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I've just re-started my adventures in home brewing! After a pretty disastrous attempt at uni I was keen to give it another go. I’ve only started with a basic wheat beer kit but hope to progress. At the moment it’s been fermenting for just over a week. Although the instructions only state 4-6 days for fermentation before you should bottle I’m not so sure and I’m thinking it needs a little longer. The colour still seems too pale and there is still some foam/bubbles on top of the beer. I’ve just taken a hydrometer reading and it’s coming up 1.021 (original gravity before I pitched the yeast 1.051). What would you guys recommend, bottle it up now and leave it to condition as per the instructions or give it a little while longer and see what happens? Very new to this but keen to learn!
Thanks in advance!

4-6 days is nonsense, yes some beers can ferment out in a week but most are best left for 10-14 days. When the party going on at the top of the FV drops down, take another reading, it should be around the 10.10 mark, then 24 hours later, take another, if it reads the same then it's ready to be racked off to secondary for priming, or just straight to bottle if you don't have a secondary.

Latest posts

Back