co2 supply in Glasgow / Edinburgh

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welshy1812

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the board and looking for some help.

I'm in the process of getting together the equipment to start brewing and kegging and am looking to source a co2 supplier before I go and purchase a couple of Corny kegs.

At lunch I nipped to Russell Gas in Edinburgh as I work just round the corner from there. I've seen a few posts of people buying their co2 there without any hassle but I've just been knocked back as I'm not Licensed Trade.

Is everyone else buying co2 under the premise that it's being used for home brewing or do I need to be sneaky about it ???

I live in Glasgow so I know I can try express fuels as well but Russell Gas is handy as it's round the corner from my work and I'll probably be in to buy LPG for my car anyway.

Anyone offer any advice ?

Cheers, Craig.

I'd reccommend BOC Sureserve. They seem happy to deal with domestic users, are cheap enough and the service is good. They operate a "milk round" delivery system. I ran out of gas on Sunday morning in the middle of kegging, so called them up and the driver came at 9am this morning and dropped off a new tank. Good service.

http://www.boconline.co.uk/products/gas_supply_options/drinks_dispense_gas/index.asp

You just call them, set up an account and the delivery guy will call you to make arrangements to deliver.
Cylinder rental costs me 2.49 per month. Can't remember how much a refill is - last one was over a year ago - about 20 quid I think.

Thanks for that Andy, I'm, going to give the place in Whiteinch a go first as I think they just take a deposit for the bottle but if I don't have any luck I'll be on to BOC.

Cheers.

hi wee welshy :D i had a nightmare trying to set up an account with BOC (Bunch Of C*nts as I was calling them), the woman phoned me to set up an account and left a message when I was at work, then I phoned back and got an answering machine, she phoned me back about 5 mins later when I was in work then I tried calling back over 100 times and all I got was an aswering machine.she left another message saying to email her and that was in January I emailed her and not heard back. other people have had nae probs though! ask at your local, I got one from the pub for 8 squid, I've gave myself about 4 hernia's trying to lift the fcuker between rooms right enough!!! :lol:

abeyptfc said:
hi wee welshy :D i had a nightmare trying to set up an account with BOC (Bunch Of C*nts as I was calling them), the woman phoned me to set up an account and left a message when I was at work, then I phoned back and got an answering machine, she phoned me back about 5 mins later when I was in work then I tried calling back over 100 times and all I got was an aswering machine.she left another message saying to email her and that was in January I emailed her and not heard back. other people have had nae probs though! ask at your local, I got one from the pub for 8 squid, I've gave myself about 4 hernia's trying to lift the fcuker between rooms right enough!!! :lol:

On the flip-side, I called once and got it sorted in less than 10 mins.

Never looked back. I now get my propane from them at the same time.

Cheap as chips too

K

Well I gave Express Fuels in Whiteinch a phone last night to see if they would supply me with drinks dispense gas.

Wasn't confident that they would after Russell Gas's flat refusal of my custom but to my suprise it doesn't appear to be a problem.

£20 deposit for a 6.35kg cylinder and just over £14 for the fill of CO2, and they're open on Saturday mornings which is very handy, so I should be sorted come this weekend !

A wee bonus is that it's only about a 15 second drive from the Glen Brew shop on Dumbarton Road so if I need anything I can pop in.

Just bumping this up as I'm thinking about going down the same route.

Express fuels sounds like an ideal solution for me too as I'm in at glenbrew for most of my stuff anyway.

Is there any monthly rental or is it just £20 up front for the bottle?

Cheers

Hello everyone

I just got co2 from express fuels. Deposit is £40 and around £17 for the refill. I did not asked about any monthly stuff, since i can have the gas container for as long as i need, then i can gave it back and £40 back, or refill it.

Service at express fuels is great.

Thanks

ScottM said:

Express fuels sounds like an ideal solution for me too as I'm in at glenbrew for most of my stuff anyway.

Cheers

Just bumping this thread. Anyone know the cost of the gas form Express fuels. Just bought a corny keg and just need the fuel, tap and gauges.

Gary.

GaryG said:
ScottM said:

Cheers

Just bumping this thread. Anyone know the cost of the gas form Express fuels. Just bought a corny keg and just need the fuel, tap and gauges.

Gary.

I still haven't got the finger out to go and see them lol. I think I'll give them a ring tomorrow.

It cost me £57.42.

£17.42 for the gas and £40 deposit for the bottle which is quite large and will not fit in an under counter fridge.

If your planning on keeping the gas in the fridge then perhaps you could call them and ask if they will fill your bottle and buy one from Norm (£50 on ebay last time I looked), thats what I was going to do but ended up with a larder fridge in my kitchen cupboard will the bottle outside the fridge as I was restricted by dimensions.

PS I told them it was for home brew and they were fine with that and gave me a rundown on safety and storage of CO2.

Jimmy321 said:
It cost me £57.42.

£17.42 for the gas and £40 deposit for the bottle which is quite large and will not fit in an under counter fridge.

If your planning on keeping the gas in the fridge then perhaps you could call them and ask if they will fill your bottle and buy one from Norm (£50 on ebay last time I looked), thats what I was going to do but ended up with a larder fridge in my kitchen cupboard will the bottle outside the fridge as I was restricted by dimensions.

Do they not have any smaller bottles?

ScottM said:
Jimmy321 said:
It cost me £57.42.

Do they not have any smaller bottles?

I was looking for a smaller cylinder that would fit in my kegerator when I called express fuels. They said they did have the smaller cylinders but they do not lease them out to homebrewers as they are apparently specificaly designed for use in machines of some kind. I did explain why I had a size requierment but they would only offer me the larger size cylinder.

I ended up ordering a cylinder from down south then getting it filled at a fire extinguisher place in Rutherglen. Details can be found here.
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=42393

Hi, Just about to build my 3 keg keezer but I've been planning on finding a 5lb or 10lb bottle to fit inside

Having just phoned around looking for such a thing in glasgow, i found this post.

Express fuels can give me a 6.8kg bottle, 15b in old money i think which is 27" or 68/69cms tall?

My questions are,

Is this size bottle what you guys get?

how long does it last (roughy in corny kegs) worth when forcing and dispensing?

I'm thinking i can adjust my collar to make it fit in my keezer, which would actually lift the taps up higher more toward abdominal level.....

Hey, thanks for the reply! It seems the prices are correct. I was told that it is £50 since I would have to buy the cylinder, but I suppose that extra £5 is for the gas which makes it £45 + £5 ;)

I think that is not so bad. I will try and reach Express fuels in Glasgow, but Livingston is not bad either.

Now I will have to sort some cornies ;)

Latest posts

Back