Great Galaxy - Hops (not chocolate!)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put 25g of these on a 20m boil and the added to the FV, with a Coopers Canadian Blonde yesterday, can't wait to taste it. Still deciding what to dry hop with but I know the Galaxy will give it a real kick being 16.4% Alpha.

Heheh, those Galaxy are well strong, be careful with them ! You will love them mind, really nice when used for bitter or bouquet, gotta pull a pint now !

Regards

Old Golden Hen is made with Galaxy hops and I have to say I love the hop taste of that beer so I think I'll be giving this a try.

I was enjoying Old Golden Hen at the weekend - my local put it on as a guest ale. I wasn't aware that it had Galaxy hops, but they're my preferred aroma hop when I make golden ale (which is quite often!).
With no LHBS, it's a PITA when I'm low on just one essential ingredient for a brew. That's why I appreciate Buyhops price and service - no need to run out of Galaxy!
Cheers,
Chris

Depends how many handfuls you chuck in, I like my beers well hoppy, a golden ale with saaz bittering (lots), and even more for bouquet, I admit Saaz cant compete with the high alpha of the Galaxy but in a milder form is not so far off.

regards

I was enjoying Old Golden Hen at the weekend - my local put it on as a guest ale. I wasn't aware that it had Galaxy hops, but they're my preferred aroma hop when I make golden ale (which is quite often!).
With no LHBS, it's a PITA when I'm low on just one essential ingredient for a brew. That's why I appreciate Buyhops price and service - no need to run out of Galaxy!
Cheers,
Chris
They have run out now,,, missed my order :sulk:
Regards

You could use Saaz instead. And realise how different they are. ;-)

I've bought some Galaxy hops yesterday to add to dry hop a Coopers APA kit. Saaz has a very different profile to Galaxy from what I read. The alpha acid levels are very different, do they have similar aromas though?

I've bought some Galaxy hops yesterday to add to dry hop a Coopers APA kit. Saaz has a very different profile to Galaxy from what I read. The alpha acid levels are very different, do they have similar aromas though?

No. :rofl:

No. :rofl:

Why did I ask :-)

Anyway, got some on the way and will be my first go at dry hopping so looking forward, Seems to leave a good impression with everyone that's tried it. Considering splitting the batch after initial fermentation and dry hopping half with Galaxy and either leaving the other half as is to compare or dry hop with something different, colleague has offered to give me some Magnum hops to try.

The thought had crossed my mind (spotted that Saaz is used for Pilsner Urquell) but I'm not turning down free Magnum hops and the Galaxy is on its way :)

Latest posts

Back