Corny kegs for £34.95

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My kegs arrived yesterday. One for me, one for a mate, one for Bunglebrewsbeer. Now to figure it all out!

Mine arrived yesterday. It still contained some Pepsi syrup. Any ideas on how to get rid of the smell? I've tried oxy clean and very hot water so far to no avail. I'm reluctant to use bleach.

They sold them as reconditioned. How can they have been reconditioned if they still have the pepsi syrup from their original life?

I guess the reconditioning was simply making sure they had the correct bits and replacing any bits that needed replacing?

They got a huge load in and decided to sell at £35 - cleaning them all was probably not an option - and if it keeps the price down I'm ok with that myself. :thumb:

They got a huge load in and decided to sell at £35 - cleaning them all was probably not an option - and if it keeps the price down I'm ok with that myself. :thumb:
Not bothered that it needs cleaning at the price it was offered. I just want to know the best way of getting it thoroughly cleaned. Considering getting another already :whistle:

I was sitting on the fence for ages, looks like they're sold out now! Ah well, decision made, money saved...maybe one day :)

I would give a rinse with boiling water to try and get rid of the syrup. Then a soak in VWP (don't forget to force some up the outlet dip tube). Empty by connecting to gas and use the outlet tube ( a spare disconnect and tap is handy here). Rinse well with water, again remembering the dip tube. Cross fingers. You may still have a slight aroma but this disappear once it's had some beer in.
After the initial clean I tend to just rinse out with clean water and then flush through wit beer line cleaner.

I would give a rinse with boiling water to try and get rid of the syrup. Then a soak in VWP (don't forget to force some up the outlet dip tube). Empty by connecting to gas and use the outlet tube ( a spare disconnect and tap is handy here). Rinse well with water, again remembering the dip tube. Cross fingers. You may still have a slight aroma but this disappear once it's had some beer in.
After the initial clean I tend to just rinse out with clean water and then flush through wit beer line cleaner.

Any one else received their corny yet from The Home Brew Company?
I received mine today. It's beaten to hell. Scratched (as you'd expect), dented quite badly and covered in half peeled off delivery labels!
No matter what I do to it, it ain't gonna look pretty.

Any one else received their corny yet from The Home Brew Company?
I received mine today. It's beaten to hell. Scratched (as you'd expect), dented quite badly and covered in half peeled off delivery labels!
No matter what I do to it, it ain't gonna look pretty.

Reading other forums it seems to be a bit hit and miss what quality of keg you get.
Mine were OK although as you say had a few labels.

Given them a good scrub, so no labels anymore. Soaked the inside with good old oxiclean and now with santiser.
The O-ring isn't new so I'm gonna replace that.
I'm a bit ocd with how things look, so despite the dings and scratches I'm gonna polish them up.
So I think they'll look passable in the end.

Another question re these kegs. As it draws from the very bottom, there isn,t much room for any of the dregs that a regular bottom-tap plastic barrel has. So, I guess some additional filtering is required when racking - any suggestions?

I just draw off half a pint and chuck it down the sink. The rest should be clear.

The bottoms are shaped so the beer is funnelled toward the outlet tube, so the sediment will come out first.

I just draw off half a pint and chuck it down the sink. The rest should be clear.

The bottoms are shaped so the beer is funnelled toward the outlet tube, so the sediment will come out first.

Don't forget these are not designed to be primed, rather force carbonation via CO2, so there should be minimal sediment.

Don't forget these are not designed to be primed, rather force carbonation via CO2, so there should be minimal sediment.

Yeah, I tend to whack mine up to 40PSI and put them in the shed for a while. It's so cold overnight that they clear really well, but I think there is a bit of sediment in the first pull.

Got mine. Bit rough on the outside but from what I've read this is normal for second hand. I'm having trouble sealing them but I think it's just me. Ordered a new set of of rings anyway. Still happy and if I didn't want to use them I could get my money back on eBay.

Back