anyone use a controller with brew belt?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuffer

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm concerned that my brew belt purchase may cause overheating and was wondering if anyone else has this issue and how they deal with it. Could one of those inkbird units be used to switch the heater on/off (without cooling) or can they only be used when you have both cooler and heater connected?

I use led the Inkbird 308 with my Brewbelt from the first time recently and everything went fine with fermentation (although I won't know for sure until I bottle tomorrow).

Before I got my Inkbird controller I used a timer switch set to 1 hour on, 1 hour off and it seemed to help keep a better temp (according to my stick on thermometer anyway)!

I use led the Inkbird 308 with my Brewbelt from the first time recently and everything went fine with fermentation (although I won't know for sure until I bottle tomorrow).

Before I got my Inkbird controller I used a timer switch set to 1 hour on, 1 hour off and it seemed to help keep a better temp (according to my stick on thermometer anyway)!

Thanks for the reply, so the 308 would be a good investment at this stage as I can use it with the brew belt but then also use it to add switching to cooling if/when u upgrade to a brew fridge?

I use a brew belt with a timer from Screwfix it's set to be on for an hour and off for an hour and a half. I sit the belt half way up the FV, the closer to the bottom of the FV the belt it the hotter it will make the wort. Between positioning the belt on the FV and the timer I can maintain a temperature to about a 1c swing either side of 20.

I use a brew belt with a timer from Screwfix it's set to be on for an hour and off for an hour and a half. I sit the belt half way up the FV, the closer to the bottom of the FV the belt it the hotter it will make the wort. Between positioning the belt on the FV and the timer I can maintain a temperature to about a 1c swing either side of 20.

Cool...what's the environment like where the FV is located? Mine would be a relatively cool, drafty garage in the east mids so not sure if conditions would be similar to yours?

I'm concerned that my brew belt purchase may cause overheating and was wondering if anyone else has this issue and how they deal with it. Could one of those inkbird units be used to switch the heater on/off (without cooling) or can they only be used when you have both cooler and heater connected?

Hi chuffer,
This is Inkbird. For a controller without cooling, ITC-306 is the one you mentioned. If you need a timer and thermostat(heating & cooling),ITC-310T will helps.

I use to use something similar to the stc1000 to switch it off at 19. With probe insulated against the barrel away from the belt.
My biggest issue was ambient temperature being too warm.

Cool...what's the environment like where the FV is located? Mine would be a relatively cool, drafty garage in the east mids so not sure if conditions would be similar to yours?

You're right, my FV is in a kitchen. Maybe with a shelter from the draft and good insulation on the FV you'd be able to maintain a stable temperature but it'd be trial and error and would take constant monitoring and tweaking over the first 24hrs.

Hi chuffer,
This is Inkbird. For a controller without cooling, ITC-306 is the one you mentioned. If you need a timer and thermostat(heating & cooling),ITC-310T will helps.

Thanks for the reply inkbird...what are your thoughts on post #4? At the moment id only use it on the brewbelt (heating) but in the future I may upgrade to a fridge and so would need heating and cooling. Rather than buying two separate units (306 now and a different one later), it would be better for me if I can buy the right one now for both situations. With this in mind can the 308 or the 310 do just heating if nothing is plugged into the cooling bit? Mick Dundee seems to suggest so..

Hi chuffer,

For brewing, I recommend ITC-308 because sometimes you need cooling when ambient temperature is too high.

Also, I know that there're many double on ambient temperature and temps in FV. So I suggest ITC-308S(with long sensor version), you can put the sensor into your beer directly.

As MickDundee mentioned he use a timer and a thermostat at that same time. If you need a timer, then ITC-310T is your best choice.

Hope that this will help you out.

Thanks for the reply inkbird...what are your thoughts on post #4? At the moment id only use it on the brewbelt (heating) but in the future I may upgrade to a fridge and so would need heating and cooling. Rather than buying two separate units (306 now and a different one later), it would be better for me if I can buy the right one now for both situations. With this in mind can the 308 or the 310 do just heating if nothing is plugged into the cooling bit? Mick Dundee seems to suggest so..

With this in mind can the 308 or the 310 do just heating if nothing is plugged into the cooling bit? Mick Dundee seems to suggest so..

Hi!
I've got a fermentation box controlled by an STC-1000. I don't have anything plugged into the cooling circuit as the box is in the outside wash house. It works well, so if you buy the 308 and only use the heating socket you will be OK for now and you will have the capability to expand when you get a brew fridge.

Back