Gluten free & wheat free grains

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You would have to look into the sugar content of buckwheat and is it fermentable...Try a small batch?

There is virtually no sugar content to any grains which is why they need to be malted to have the enzymes to convert the starch to sugar in the mash. If you wanted to try unmalted grains of any type sweet potatos are the only thing I am aware of that is high in the required enzymes.

Yep ClarityFerm is your friend. Both my sisters (and my mother actually although she's not into beer) have tried my brews with no ill effects. Just brew standard beer and add when pitching the yeast.

The brews I've used it on haven't tasted any different. I think you need to give it sufficient time to get the beer down to gluten levels recognised as gluten free but if you ferment for 2 weeks that should be enough I believe.

How I managed to escape celiac is beyond me but I use ClarityFerm most of the time as a matter of course now. Great for chill haze

My daughter was clinically diagnosed as Celiac about 5 years ago (she had to have endoscopes in the digestive system to monitor the irritation caused by the intestines reacting to gluten as a poison) and has to be very careful about alcoholic drinks. I have bought a kit for gluten free Czech Pilsner from GWTW, and will see how it turns out. The results will not be known via her tasting until December as she is currently 5 months pregnant, but that gives a decent time for the lager to mature.

I will report on the progress later in the year.

I have encountered a big problem with this. The beer in bottles has cleared ok, and there is a nice sediment at the bottom of the bottles.

My problem is that the sediment, although seeming stable when the bottle is moved and opened, the bubbles that subsequently appear disturb little chunks of it which then swirl around the beer breaking up slowly and hey presto the entire bottle clouds up.

I am wondering if it will ever settle hard enough? Has anyone had a similar problem. It is very gassy, and maybe a bit too much so.

I have encountered a big problem with this. The beer in bottles has cleared ok, and there is a nice sediment at the bottom of the bottles.

My problem is that the sediment, although seeming stable when the bottle is moved and opened, the bubbles that subsequently appear disturb little chunks of it which then swirl around the beer breaking up slowly and hey presto the entire bottle clouds up.

I am wondering if it will ever settle hard enough? Has anyone had a similar problem. It is very gassy, and maybe a bit too much so.

A few things that would help are
Use less priming sugar would lower the carbonation and the amount of sediment.
leave it for longer and if possible cool it before bottling to let more sediment drop out before bottling.
Use Gervin/Nottingham yeast at it sticks to the bottom much better than most.

Thanks, Simon.

Bottles have now been out in my very cold garage for a couple of weeks, and the sediment has firmed up somewhat. I have to open the bottle and pour as much as I can into a glass asap before the sediment breaks up in lumps.

I have also found another problem; I am not keen on the taste. It has an aftertaste of lemons, which I do not want in a beer.

It is almost sour; and as a full bodied porter fan, I find it not to my liking.

Thanks, Simon.

Bottles have now been out in my very cold garage for a couple of weeks, and the sediment has firmed up somewhat. I have to open the bottle and pour as much as I can into a glass asap before the sediment breaks up in lumps.

I have also found another problem; I am not keen on the taste. It has an aftertaste of lemons, which I do not want in a beer.

It is almost sour; and as a full bodied porter fan, I find it not to my liking.

I think you brewed a gone with the wheat kit which is made from sorgum extract not barley hence it doesn't taste like beer. Its hard to get Gluten free malt extract in the UK in the past I got a sample from Dohler in Germany which was good for extract brews but the minimum order was hundreds of KG and expensive it you don't but a 1000Kg container.

Just thought if you don't know all the bottled beers from Westerham brewery are gluten free and good.

Latest posts

Back