Summit SMaSH

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopWroester

Reaction score
Has anyone brewed a summit only ale? I've got few hundred grams of them but a little nervous of creating some kind of bitter monster as the AA is 16.2%!

Was thinking of 20g at 60mins but that would give me 40+ ibu alone.

Personally I'd go for all 10 minute or less additions. With that level of alpha you'll still get decent bitterness and maximum flavour. Have a read on a method called 'hopbursting'.

As RZH says, late additions only - I have just had the last of a summit only beer and found it really nice. Unfortunately I'm **** at describing hops, but it was a fruity 'deep' flavour, rather than flowery.

for 14 litres I added 20g for 15 mins, 40g at flame out and 50g dry hop :thumb: - should give around 30 IBU, but assuming some conversion whilst cooling it may be a little higher (a few minutes makes a difference)

I will be making that one again.

I did 40g of 13.5% galaxy in a 10.litre batch as
4g at 60mins
12g at 10mins
12g at 5 mins
12g at 0 mins for a 10 minute hop stand.

I'm scaling this recipe up next month and have 50g of summit and 50g of galaxy to use.
Was planming 10g at 60 min's then 15g of each at the above timings.

Good luck!

Ah... Forgot to say that I do extract brews with some steeped grains, so by cutting out the 60 min addition I can shorten the brew time significantly, with no noticeable ill effects.

Sent from my thl 5000 using Tapatalk

If you want to get a load in I'd consider just steeping a load as soon as you turn the heat off without any chilling for half an hour...Brewsmith has an option for this on hop additions and I'm sure other software does too so you can work out the IBUs. You can then dry hop with another load later.

Latest posts

Back