Ginger & Chilli wine . Rockuronium's 'semi-wow'!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinotinto

Landlord.
Reaction score
Breaking away from the other posts on this subject which appear under a ginger beer thread - I have put together a gallon of this today and thought it worthy of its own thread for future reference.

Many thanks to Rock for the patience in dealing with my questions via private message.

Slightly tweaked from the original and with Rock's suggestions -

200g fresh ginger part peeled and grated / chopped
3 fresh red chillis chopped, seeds and all, and a dried kashmiri chilli for luck!
3 unwaxed lemons. - rind and juice
2 whole star anise
1kg sugar
1L Waitrose White Grape Juice
3 bag cuppa for tannin
1tsp each of
Pectolase
Yeast nutrient
Yeast ( I used Wilko Express )

Brought the sugar, lemon, star anise and chilli to boil in 1l of water. 20 mins boil with lid on.
When cooled sufficiently, strained liquid through sieve (finer than muslin bag ) and squeezed all the liquid out. Poured into dj with tannin, wgj and water to shoulder. Tested SG 1.082 which is a tad less than I was aiming for but will do.

Temp between 20 and 25c so Added Pectolase and nutrient and finally yeast.
Airlock ln and blipping within an hour.
Smells and tastes divine now so fingers crossed for when it has some alcohol,in it .

IMG_3172.jpg

Thanks Vino, much appreciated, fame at last...ha ha. Started 10l yesterday and put the Ginger and chillis in the food processor first, save chopping and grating.Its in a white FV so no pics I'm afraid.
42bfdd5b6c9cdf1ca64148d5c220c15a.jpg
d295a9c26ab6880c6b87fa7690ee44d1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hahaha. See what you mean now about the lemon 'remains' . Confused me a bit because I did not want the bitter pith in there but you seemed to have chucked the whole lot in anyway. 10l should keep Mrs Rock happy. Did you manage to up the SG?

Yes, got this to 1.110. 2.4kg which includes sugar from 2L grape juice (168g). Had to keep adding in increments. It was the pith from the chillis I removed. [emoji106]

Breaking away from the other posts on this subject which appear under a ginger beer thread - I have put together a gallon of this today and thought it worthy of its own thread for future reference.

Many thanks to Rock for the patience in dealing with my questions via private message.

Slightly tweaked from the original and with Rock's suggestions -

200g fresh ginger part peeled and grated / chopped
3 fresh red chillis chopped, seeds and all, and a dried kashmiri chilli for luck!
3 unwaxed lemons. - rind and juice
2 whole star anise
1kg sugar
1L Waitrose White Grape Juice
3 bag cuppa for tannin
1tsp each of
Pectolase
Yeast nutrient
Yeast ( I used Wilko Express )

Brought the sugar, lemon, star anise and chilli to boil in 1l of water. 20 mins boil with lid on.
When cooled sufficiently, strained liquid through sieve (finer than muslin bag ) and squeezed all the liquid out. Poured into dj with tannin, wgj and water to shoulder. Tested SG 1.082 which is a tad less than I was aiming for but will do.

Temp between 20 and 25c so Added Pectolase and nutrient and finally yeast.
Airlock ln and blipping within an hour.
Smells and tastes divine now so fingers crossed for when it has some alcohol,in it .

keep me updated - this looks and sounds intresting :D

Looking good Vino. It'll clear beautifully, trust me. [emoji108]

Racked and fined this yesterday. Clearing nicely but I must say I am not convinced re the taste. Loads of ginger and a definite after kick but tastes harsh. Will give it time. :-?

Let it clear fully, I find most juice wines are harsh initially then mellow out after a few days, definitely best served cold. My second batch is 15% :whistle: and tastes better as its dry .996

Ok so this is still sitting in the dj since fining etc. Being always a bit sceptical at each stage my slight loss of interest has benefited by producing a month gap in the dj since fining. Very clear = good but still not convinced on the taste. It actually tastes to me VERY much like stones ginger wine which although not a bad thing was not actually what I was expecting. Not getting any chilli. Certainly could not face sharing a bottle of this at wine time with the missus. Will bottle another day anyway and give it the chance it deserves! :wink:

Back