Old sayings. (parents used to say)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Howay son, play the white man." Which had the same tones the reply to that's not fair "neithers a......Bum"

Remember those ones, the latter being often used by my mother even today.....lol :lol:

My Mum was fond of shouting at me "shut ya face and give ya **** a chance".

Also the bisto one reminded me of when I was sent up the local shop for some bisto. I went to the cheapest of our two village shops hoping to keep some change, but they'd run out. So I went to the other shop where they were charging 22p. I said to the owner "it's only 20p in mace" to which he replied "ours is only 19p when we ain't got none".

...I don't half miss those good hidings! You soon learn to shut up and do as you're told! Those were the days. .no central heating and ice on the inside of the window. Jam butties,more good hidings,knitted itchy as hell jumpers! Wellies with shorts...red rings around your shins where the wellies rubbed...more good hidings! Proper character building having your **** tanned!
Done me no harm!

Cheers

Clint

...I don't half miss those good hidings! You soon learn to shut up and do as you're told! Those were the days. .no central heating and ice on the inside of the window. Jam butties,more good hidings,knitted itchy as hell jumpers! Wellies with shorts...red rings around your shins where the wellies rubbed...more good hidings! Proper character building having your **** tanned!
Done me no harm!

Cheers

Clint

Ehhh to be honest mate, doesn't sound too good to me sounds like a butlins concentration camp?

Done me no harm!

Cheers

Clint
Jees sounds very similar to my own and to be honest it didn't do me no harm as it tought you respect and lessons were quick to be learned.No talking back, smart-assed comments or telling your parents what to do,where to go or how they are going to do what you want.
Jam sarnies are lovely but I gave my children sugar pieces which is a sugar sarny and they loved them although the missus wasn't to happy about what it would do for their teeth.They asked me why I used to have these and told that when I was a child and money was tight jam was a luxury.
How things have changed.

Sent from my ALE-L21

This would usually be said around this time of year -

You don't always get what you want. It's a hard lesson, but you might as well learn it now.

Butlins concentration camp...? No .....all fact...perhaps I over emphasised the hidings but as someone else stated a clip round the ear got respect. ..no cheek, back chat or swearing or going out getting into bother but we had what my parents could afford. ..and sometimes things they couldn't. There was always someone there and there was always food in the cupboard. Yes we had no central heating and yes there was ice on the inside of the window. The fire roared up the chimney and my dad would go out logging with me in tow with a couple of hand saws and a wheel barrow..was it hard. .yes..did I moan ..sometimes..would I do it all again...definitely! I have very happy child hood memories.

Cheers

Clint

We used to go to Pontins every year and loved it, in those days everyone (almost) had 2 or 3 kids and most families only had one "bread winner" usually the father bringing one wage into the house, the wives often had "pin money" jobs to bring a little extra money in looking back it amazes me they could afforded to take us on a holiday, having both parents working full time was almost unheard of so we were all in the same boat.

I used to be up first so got the "pleasure" of lighting the coal fire (no CH in those days) i got hardly any benefit as by the time i left it was just getting going for those younger ones reading the fire also heated the water (back boiler) so if someone had used the last of the water in the hot water tank the night before you had to boil the kettle and use that to have a good wash or do without.

A bit more info for the young ones here, you will have read about airing cupboards here where those that still have them put their beer to keep it warm, that was where the hot water tank was.

I for one wouldn't swap our modern conveniences for those days, no telephone (land line) black and white TV with 3 channels that fished at midnight, we still have a coal fire (no back boiler) and that is the only thing i still like from those days, there is nothing better than coming home on a cold day to a roaring fire.

Butlins concentration camp...? No .....all fact...perhaps I over emphasised the hidings but as someone else stated a clip round the ear got respect. ..no cheek, back chat or swearing or going out getting into bother but we had what my parents could afford. ..and sometimes things they couldn't. There was always someone there and there was always food in the cupboard. Yes we had no central heating and yes there was ice on the inside of the window. The fire roared up the chimney and my dad would go out logging with me in tow with a couple of hand saws and a wheel barrow..was it hard. .yes..did I moan ..sometimes..would I do it all again...definitely! I have very happy child hood memories.

Cheers

Clint
Sure you're not related, sounds like my older brother and me and I kid you not we used too carry beach tree rings for about 200 yards due too access restrictions then split them with a sledge and a wedge and no pocket money but it kept you fit.

Sent from my ALE-L21

Well you did what you had too ...had many a day picking coal from the colliery Slag heaps too...
Tripe for tea on a Friday. .or duck eggs my dad brought home. I caught hundreds of trout and eels from our local rivers and we caught or shot rabbits and pigeons. ..all welcome additions and we're eaten without a second thought. Also foraging in season ...mushrooms,nuts or fruit...kids today wouldn't have a clue. ..I have loads of black berries in the freezer which I picked during the autumn...and enjoyed duck eggs,hens eggs and mushrooms off a farmer friend in return for finding some lost machinery with my metal detector..

Cheers

Clint

"Those who ask don't get." when I asked for anything.

and

"Those who don't ask don't get." when I suggested I would have liked something that was now no longer available!

Personally I hate the following "modern" things and therefore manage to live without them:

Central Heating.
I consider it to be expensive and responsible for many of the respiratory ailments and allergies suffered by today's kids; especially when linked to fitted carpets in the same house. At my school in the 1950's there was ONE lad who had asthma and eczema out of over 250 kids; unlike today where the ratio is ONE in ELEVEN. Plus, if you're cold, don't turn up the CH just go and put on another sweater.

Disinfectant Sprays.
I once saw a doctor on TV advise parents that their children should "Play in dirt to build up an immunity system to bacteria." This valid piece of advice was followed by an advert where a woman was spraying a doorknob and a phone to "stop germs". A waste of money and positively detrimental to the chances of a child building up an immunity system.

Perfumed Sprays and Vapours
God only knows what harmful chemicals are being pumped into modern houses with the plethora of scents and perfumes on the market. Almost all clean and dry homes (note "homes" not "houses") won't "smell" if they are allowed to develop the characteristic smells of the occupants and their activities.

There is an advert currently on TV that tells people they have gone "Nose Blind". This is aimed at people who aren't aware that their home smells perfectly normal and therefore frightens them into buying the product. A well known tactic of big business.

i.e. First invent a problem, then frighten people into believing that the problem actually exists, then produce a solution and finally sell it; and hope that no-one notices that the problem doesn't really exist.

For any doubters amongst us "When was the last time you heard anyone mention the dreaded 'BO'?" that was a classic! "Even your best friend wouldn't tell you!" so you had better be properly scared of having it! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Washing Up Liquid Detergent
Again, a modern invention that cleans pots and pans by removing the very oil and grease that is required to stop food sticking to them when they are used; so they have to sell "non-stick" coverings to cope with using a detergent. A double waste of money.

I don't expect anyone to go back to the stone-age, but I'm pretty sure that many of today's problems are being caused by big businesses that put their profits above the wellbeing of the general public. :thumb: :thumb:

References:

https://www.asthma.org.uk/about/media/facts-and-statistics/

I was always taught to make friends with germs and they'll make friends with you and I teach my children the same but one of my girls carries one of those alcohol gels as she says that the amount of girls that don't wash their hands when using the bathroom at their school is ridiculous.

Sent from my ALE-L21

I was always taught to make friends with germs and they'll make friends with you and I teach my children the same but one of my girls carries one of those alcohol gels as she says that the amount of girls that don't wash their hands when using the bathroom at their school is ridiculous.

Sent from my ALE-L21

Tell her not to worry so much, as a bit of secondhand pee never hurt anyone. :thumb:

After seeing the damage that mineral oils can do to a scrotum most men working with ANY mineral oil should learn to wash their hands before going to the toilet. :whistle:

Back in the 1960's when I got into the oil & gas industry my sister (a District Nurse) sent me a beautiful portfolio of graphic photographs; and scared the living daylights out of me! :thumb: :thumb:

Here's the latest advice from the HSE:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/skin/professional/causes/cancers.htm

I fully agree with the central heating thing...got in last night from work around 7,shower and tea,by 9:30 I was bunged up in the nasal area and felt rotten so went to bed a bit later....heating off and bedroom window open and I soon felt ok. Yeah people are hysterical about muck and dirt...a lot of allergies are like you say from not building up any immunity...get some dogs for your kids to play with along with all the **** that keeps them indoors...

cheers

Clint

Latest posts

Back