AG49 Vermont IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I tried it again and while it is still sweeter than I'd planned - I did make an error calculating the water as I missed the small pipe work formulae and used the adjusted one for the grainfather- Its not a clear as I'd though but more amber than the 'oj' look some of these can have. Even with the sweetness I did bitter this more than the style calls for and its not a bad beer. 'Soft' mouthfeel and heavy sweet mango aroma. The bitterness is there but not over powering. I'll refine for the next batch and the correct water addition should make it less sweet.

This thread, and the entire forum has been and continues to be a great source of support and information.

I just prepared mine for bottling before I brought the kids up to bed. I'm amazed how much bitterness came through considering I did 3G of Falconers Flight as a FWH addition and everything else went in at flameout (at 80C too!). It's tasting and smelling great though.

I forgot to take an SG reading (SWMBO came home from her night out early on brewday so I ended up rushing my chilling/pitching) but the yeast which I read has a habit of only attenuating to 65% munched down to 1.012 so I'm assuming it must be slightly higher than the 5.01% ABV predicted by Brewers Friend!

@krispn and @MickDundee there seems to be a recurring theme throughout this thread of over-bitterness, myself included. Obviously brewing software just isn't accurate when it comes to late hopping. My next attempt I'm going to skip the bittering addition completely, reduce the flame out hops and increase the dry hop to compensate.

I also have something rather special regarding the yeast for my next effort, more details to follow...

Not a blend but a hybrid. There's a bloke in Finland, a biotechnologist (whatever that means) and brewing scientist who has created a hybrid of Conan yeast, cultured from Heady Topper, and WLP644 in an attempt to create the perfect fruity, NEIPA yeast. I was lucky enough to receive a vial from his latest culture which he releases a few times a year. Just received it today and it's only 2ml, so it requires a few step up starters to get a pitchable amount. If anyone is interested in reading about it see here. And if anyone wants to try it I'll be happy to send out some bottles of the finished beer which can be used for culturing.

I was speaking to a couple of brewers in the week and Lallemand are saying to use Windsor and BRY-97 pitched together. Cloudwater are currently using JWLees Yeast and WLP4000.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I was speaking to a couple of brewers in the week and Lallemand are saying to use Windsor and BRY-97 pitched together. Cloudwater are currently using JWLees Yeast and WLP4000.

I think you're right, yeast blending does seem to be the vogue right now.

I've never used BRY-97 is it like a clean, chico type yeast? I'm not a fan of Windsor, just personal taste, but I don't like the esters from it. The Cloudwater blend sounds interesting though :hmm:

I believe BRY97 is the Anchor Liberty strain (wy1272) not Chico, which to confuse things is BRY96 from the Seibel Institute.

Not a blend but a hybrid. There's a bloke in Finland, a biotechnologist (whatever that means) and brewing scientist who has created a hybrid of Conan yeast, cultured from Heady Topper, and WLP644 in an attempt to create the perfect fruity, NEIPA yeast. I was lucky enough to receive a vial from his latest culture which he releases a few times a year. Just received it today and it's only 2ml, so it requires a few step up starters to get a pitchable amount. If anyone is interested in reading about it see here. And if anyone wants to try it I'll be happy to send out some bottles of the finished beer which can be used for culturing.

Sounds like the perfect yeast for a NEIPA, but that article went way over my head Steve.
I would be happy to try one of your brews from all accounts your beers are great. 😉

Sounds like the perfect yeast for a NEIPA, but that article went way over my head Steve.
Tbh it was well above my paygrade too, but I liked the sound of what I understood :lol:
I would be happy to try one of your brews from all accounts your beers are great.
Ha don't believe everything you read, I've had my fair share of crappy beers too. I have a friend who occasionally commissions me to brew some beer for him, so I brew a double batch and split it between us. The last one I brewed a black IPA for him, a new recipe which I really liked the sound of, and it was a disaster. Probably one of the worst beers I've ever made, and that was really embarrassing. If it was just for me I wouldn't mind so much, but I had given him his half of the bottles before I realised how bad it was :oops: I really need to redeem myself with the next one!

I'll certainly send you a bottle of the hybrid NEIPA if it turns out decent though.

I won't ask you for the recipe then, I've got a blipa planned for my next brew but not decided on the grain bill yet. I was planning on using the Vermont yeast cultured up from my last bottle of NEIPA which I copied from you, all identical but I skipped the 60min addition. Turned out rather good even if I do say so myself. Like you and others have said still plenty of ibu's coming through from the late additions.

I would be happy to try one of your brews from all accounts your beers are great. 😉
Jury is out for me on this one. I'm not sure improved attenuation is a desired trait in a NEIPA yeast. I don't think it would help the bitterness issue by fermenting out more residual sugars.

There's an interesting quote from Kimmich regarding Vermont strain.

“I find it interesting that so many brewers and yeast companies are now using our yeast. I have tried several beers from different sources, and find that, for the most part, they miss the mark. I can attribute this to one thing–they are all getting their yeast from our cans of beer one way or another. Some have cropped the tiny amount of yeast on the bottom of the can, or they bought it from one of the tiny online yeast banks. The problem with this is that they are all using a culture taken from the weakest yeast cells in the fermentation process. Although we do not filter our beer, we do a pretty good job of keeping yeast out of the can. Therefore, the only yeast left in the can are the weaklings that were never able to fully drop out of suspension. That is their starting point, so they are at a huge disadvantage from the start. I often hear about the fact that these beers being brewed around the country are very turbid and almost milky in appearance; again, not surprising.”

It reads like the Finnish guy has created a fruitier yeast than WLP001 for brewing conventional American styles.

I look forward to hearing your results.

Off topic. This guide for brewing a BIPA is spot on. http://www.port66.co.uk/black-ipa-brewing-tips/ If you've had Buxton Imperial Black, Black Rocks or Marble Black Sunshine you'll know the authors work.

Trying my early sample tonight. Lots of lovely peach/apricot notes but a lot thinner than I expected.

IMG_2136.jpg

Steve

I would be very interested in giving this yeast a go. I love yeast starters! If you have spare bottles I will happily grow some yeast.

Happy to pay for postage etc.

Kind regards
Jon

Back