AG49 Vermont IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice. What is your mash temp and water profile? When do you plan to do the first dry hop addition?

I was planning on dry hopping after 4 days and then 7.

Mash at 67/68c

Water I don't have a clue about. Attached is a brief report on my water, I do have a more comprehensive report but the file is too big to upload using the attachments button.

water.png

Steve

I would be very interested in giving this yeast a go. I love yeast starters! If you have spare bottles I will happily grow some yeast.

Happy to pay for postage etc.

Kind regards
Jon

Yeah no probs, I'll add you to the list :thumb:

@leon103 the recipe looks great. The only thing I'll say, I used caramunich and it give the beer an ugly brown colour rather than the orange I was hoping for. I'm going to try a much lighter crystal malt next time.
As for water treatment, with your water I'd keep it simple, add about 0.25g/L of gypsum.

@leon103 the recipe looks great. The only thing I'll say, I used caramunich and it give the beer an ugly brown colour rather than the orange I was hoping for. I'm going to try a much lighter crystal malt next time.
As for water treatment, with your water I'd keep it simple, add about 0.25g/L of gypsum.

Thanks for the tip. I am think I have some light crystal so could substitute it.

Not sure if I will be able to get some gypsum before brewday. Maybe a health food shop??? Add during boil or mash?

Thanks for the tip. I am think I have some light crystal so could substitute it.

Not sure if I will be able to get some gypsum before brewday. Maybe a health food shop??? Add during boil or mash?

:doh: I shouldn't post when tired, i actually meant to say 0.25g/L calcium chloride, not gypsum! Add to the mash strike water.

Just put a NEIPA on myself on Saturday, using Gigayeast Vermont. First time using this ( bought 2 packs and somehow managed to freeze one of them, next to each other in middle of fridge. [emoji17] quick tenner lost! )

Recipe attached, mostly pinched from Adam at Baldy's brewery off YouTube. Will see how it turns out. Good hopefully for what it's cost me. Lol.
5702a95b36a5cef141d3be113f28bed8.jpg
a445205d38f486b70535133786a26439.jpg

Edit, sorry dunno why pics went sideways.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Just put a NEIPA on myself on Saturday, using Gigayeast Vermont. First time using this ( bought 2 packs and somehow managed to freeze one of them, next to each other in middle of fridge. [emoji17] quick tenner lost! )

Recipe attached, mostly pinched from Adam at Baldy's brewery off YouTube. Will see how it turns out. Good hopefully for what it's cost me. Lol.
5702a95b36a5cef141d3be113f28bed8.jpg
a445205d38f486b70535133786a26439.jpg

Edit, sorry dunno why pics went sideways.

Make sure you re-use the yeast. It's gets better with more uses

Make sure you re-use the yeast. It's gets better with more uses
I'm going to try and grow the frozen pack up and see if it is still viable, hopefully save it and then split it.

I'll probably have to rack this brew into a secondary if I'm to save that yeast as I plan a lot of dry hoping that I'm just going to dump in. I was just in a panic at the time to chuck the most viable pack in. As hadn't made a starter. (Didn't think it warranted it with allegedly having 200Bn+ cells )

I'm going to try and grow the frozen pack up and see if it is still viable, hopefully save it and then split it.

I'll probably have to rack this brew into a secondary if I'm to save that yeast as I plan a lot of dry hoping that I'm just going to dump in. I was just in a panic at the time to chuck the most viable pack in. As hadn't made a starter. (Didn't think it warranted it with allegedly having 200Bn+ cells )

Perhaps top crop?

It's in a wide neck fermenter, not bucket so may not be that easy. I do have a spare fermenter tho so racking no prob. First dry hop is at 7 days.

I was planning on dry hopping after 4 days and then 7.

Mash at 67/68c

Water I don't have a clue about. Attached is a brief report on my water, I do have a more comprehensive report but the file is too big to upload using the attachments button.

Hey Leon, do you want to try one of my recent NEIPA's. my last one with vic secret, galaxy, mosaic should be just about conditioned by now.

I mashed at 67oc with 750g of oats. I used LONDON ale III and a slightly different malt bill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not a blend but a hybrid. There's a bloke in Finland, a biotechnologist (whatever that means) and brewing scientist who has created a hybrid of Conan yeast, cultured from Heady Topper, and WLP644 in an attempt to create the perfect fruity, NEIPA yeast. I was lucky enough to receive a vial from his latest culture which he releases a few times a year. Just received it today and it's only 2ml, so it requires a few step up starters to get a pitchable amount. If anyone is interested in reading about it see here. And if anyone wants to try it I'll be happy to send out some bottles of the finished beer which can be used for culturing.

I'd be interested in trying this if possible.

Hey Leon, do you want to try one of my recent NEIPA's. my last one with vic secret, galaxy, mosaic should be just about conditioned by now.

I mashed at 67oc with 750g of oats. I used LONDON ale III and a slightly different malt bill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes please. Swap for one of mine when ready?

Was going to have a crack at a NEIPA tomorrow. Recipe as follows:

Code:
HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: TBC NEIPA

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 23 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 28.5 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.051
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.064
Final Gravity: 1.017
ABV (standard): 6.17%
IBU (tinseth): 14.54
SRM (morey): 6.26

FERMENTABLES:
5 kg - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (74.1%)
1 kg - Flaked Oats (14.8%)
0.5 kg - United Kingdom - Wheat (7.4%)
0.25 kg - German - Carapils (3.7%)

HOPS:
25 g - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.25, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 7.74
25 g - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 6.79
25 g - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.25, Use: Boil for 0 min
25 g - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Boil for 0 min
25 g - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.25, Use: Dry hop
25 g - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Dry hop

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 67 C, Time: 60 min, Amount: 17 L
Starting Mash Thickness: 2.5 L/kg

YEAST:
Wyeast - London Ale III 1318
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 73%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temp: 17.78 - 23.33 C
Fermentation Temp: 18 C
Is the IBU calculated correctly? When I put in a hop addition at 0 mins boil it doesn't add anything to the bitterness but when I change boil to whirlpool it does?

I might change the hops. I have a lot in my freezer at home but I'm not sure how much of any of them I have left. I think I have:

• Cascade
  • Amarillo
  • Nelson Sauvin
  • Ahtanum
  • Simcoe

Will need to read up on their characteristics, if none of them suit I will probably buy some more as I need to go to the LHBS anyway.

Can anyone advise on water adjustments? My water profile is (don't get a an alkalinity reading on the report from the water company):

Untitled.jpg

Any other advice?

Turns out I have quite a lot in the freezer!

Capture.png

I should probably use up some of these if possible!

Latest posts

Back