Tea Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just put this on tonight following the recipe from the OP except I used Assam tea. Got an OG of 1030 what was yours @pvt_ak?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assam... Now you're talking!

Tempted to give this a crack when a demi frees up. How long does it need to go away for once bottled? 6 months?

That's good to know I got it bang on. What is the next step when the sugar goes in?

In another 5-6 days strain the juice into a DJ, add the sugar and ferment out ! Simples [emoji106]

In another 5-6 days strain the juice into a DJ, add the sugar and ferment out ! Simples [emoji106]

About next Tuesday for me then. I assume the 5/6 days is to let the yeast eat the raisin sugar and to let the flavours infuse. Although when you stick in a kilo of sugar won't that throw the OG way off?

About next Tuesday for me then. I assume the 5/6 days is to let the yeast eat the raisin sugar and to let the flavours infuse. Although when you stick in a kilo of sugar won't that throw the OG way off?

Yes re letting the flavours infuse.
The OG will be thrown off . That's why I guess you don't take one at the start of this one , but you estimate by calculating the sugar from raisins and sugar you add.

Not sure of the reason tbh for adding the sugar as a 2nd step as I'm learning still and following the recipe.

I've guessed the same as you to give the yeast a chance to rip into the raisin sugar.

Perhaps a more experienced wine make on here can shed the science behind it ?

Yes re letting the flavours infuse.
The OG will be thrown off . That's why I guess you don't take one at the start of this one , but you estimate by calculating the sugar from raisins and sugar you add.

Not sure of the reason tbh for adding the sugar as a 2nd step as I'm learning still and following the recipe.

I've guessed the same as you to give the yeast a chance to rip into the raisin sugar.

Perhaps a more experienced wine make on here can shed the science behind it ?

Adding the sugar after avoids losing abv' during the straining of the pulp. Don't have to do it that way, especially if you're starting with a high abv' and can afford losing a % or two during straining and racking.

Adding the sugar after avoids losing abv' during the straining of the pulp. Don't have to do it that way, especially if you're starting with a high abv' and can afford losing a % or two during straining and racking.

Makes total sense !! Cheers [emoji106]

Took this off the pulp, into a DJ and onto sugar.
Bit worried about the 2nd fermentation but it seems to be bubbling slowly. Will see how she goes.

Took mine off the pulp today. Checked the sg it was down to 1.000. Racked onto the kilo of sugar and the sg went to 1.078. So it's about 3.94% before the sugar. Is there any way to figure out the final ABV?

Took mine off the pulp today. Checked the sg it was down to 1.000. Racked onto the kilo of sugar and the sg went to 1.078. So it's about 3.94% before the sugar. Is there any way to figure out the final ABV?

Yes mate - if you add the 1kg of sugar and the sugar from the raisins together and divide over 5 (litres) it gives you about 261g of sugar per litre. This will give you an approx OG of 1.100. So when it ferments out dependent on when you stop it will be about 13-14%

I've got a conversion table in a book I'm reading at the moment. You can probably find the same on line , or a tool.
I'm sure the experienced guys on here will know.

@razor 360g in 4.54 ltrs (1 gallon), based on your og reading of 1030. Fermenting to 1.000, leaves 6g of remaining sugar in the gallon. To get 1.100, you required 1.21kg in 4.54 ltrs, so 1.21-0.360 = 850g of sugar

@razor 360g in 4.54 ltrs (1 gallon), based on your og reading of 1030. Fermenting to 1.000, leaves 6g of remaining sugar in the gallon. To get 1.100, you required 1.21kg in 4.54 ltrs, so 1.21-0.360 = 850g of sugar

I prefer using the table lol !! But roughly equates [emoji106]

Racked this tonight and added stabiliser.
Looks like pond water but hoping the Kwik Clear will work its magic tomorrow.

Did you get much sediment pvt_ak? Mine is producing loads.
996969c81af39ed5597b2ab51846e538.jpg

Did you get much sediment pvt_ak? Mine is producing loads.
996969c81af39ed5597b2ab51846e538.jpg

Not that much mate but some ! I strained through muslin cloth when first took off the raisins that may have helped.

Latest posts

Back