Forever yeast 👍

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It shall be at least a month before I get started on this but as GEB have a hop sale on I was thinking of ordering 1kg of Cascade allowing 50 boil and 50 dry hop or hop tea which I may syringe into the bottle maybe.
I'm toying with US05 yeast but I'm open to suggestions but only for dry yeast and as for the grain bill it will be simple as shown below.Now looking for your thoughts on this and anyone else who maybe interested.

:thumb:

Buying some hops in bulk sound like a good plan for this experiemtn.You can even drop the wheat malt in the grist if you wanted to. As for yeast I dont think US-05 will do as it doesnt throw a particularly large krausen for top cropping. If you want to stick to dry yeast you'll probably have to get a belgian strain as I'm not aware of any dried English strain - Not that this doesn't mean there aren't any (it's usually English and Belgian strains that throw huge top croppable krausens) that throw a good enough krausen for top cropping. Either that or buy a English liquid strain or bottle culture up an English strain

I have just started homebrewing and have washed the wlp 300 hefeweizen yeast from my first batch and put it directly into my second and it has gone off at a decent speed considering how little it looked like I put in. I plan on reusing this yeast for as long as possible.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

I listened to that youtube vid whilst I was brewing earlier. It might be all that fanciful. If you use overbuilding you can go to at least 13 generations (according to Brulosopher) without any negative consequences and I read some people reckon indefinately

I think you can go for hundreds of generation, in not indefinately with top cropping if done right. I imagine the brewery @cheapbrew got his yeast from top crops if it's been going since the nineties.

The problem with the way craig was doing it, scooping yeast from bottom of the FV (bottom cropping) is you put selective pressure on it doing things this way. As you're always cropping from the bottom your harvesting ever more flocculant cells. The consequence of doing this is you get lower and lower attenuation as yeast wont ferment your wort if it's chillaxing on the bottom of your FV, it has to be in suspention

I commented on his video stating pretty much what you said about the selective pressure.

He even commentate later on about the krausen was smaller, could well be something to do with more flocculant yeast or mutation or something of that nature..

I am far from conivced he can go on forever with that yeast.

I like Craig and enjoy his laid back approach but he does do some things I wouldn;t.. Once he was drinking a coopers Bitter 6 days after he pitched the yeast.. he kegged it on day 5 and was drinking it the next day

I commented on his video stating pretty much what you said about the selective pressure.

He even commentate later on about the krausen was smaller, could well be something to do with more flocculant yeast or mutation or something of that nature..

I like Craig and enjoy his laid back approach but he does do some things I wouldn;t.. Once he was drinking a coopers Bitter 6 days after he pitched the yeast.. he kegged it on day 5 and was drinking it the next day

I was also wondering if the reduced krausen was a sign of increasingly more floculant yeast to. I really impatient when it comes to conditioning but I wouldn't drink a kit after 6 days. :sick:

He even commentate later on about the krausen was smaller, could well be something to do with more flocculant yeast or mutation or something of that nature.

I enjoy Craig and his laid back approach as it just goes to show that we are all individuals with the same goal which is brewing beer but how we go about it is entirely up to you.👍

I enjoy Craig and his laid back approach as it just goes to show that we are all individuals with the same goal which is brewing beer but how we go about it is entirely up to you.👍

That is true, like I say I am not sure about some of his methods but I really enjoy his channel and his style.. I sometimes wish he'd push the boat out a little more from time to time.

But I enjoy him really for his love of the hobby and his love of his beer and the occasional woooooooarrrrrrrrrrrr:lol:

Bottled my IPA today using this kit ⬇️
99a19542ebea9c720d03b874cd7eb555.jpg
then used the yeast for the sundew kit ⬇️
d88f3d91136d1aab86e7b21535a477e6.jpg
and she's off doing the biz [emoji1305]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Before I ever heard of wild yeasts and infections my Mum had what was called "A Ginger Beer Plant" that sat in a Kilner jar on top of the mantlepiece and was fed sugar and powdered ginger every day. (I'm not sure of the amounts 'cos it was Mum's "project"!)

At regular intervals Mum used to take the "plant" down, shake it up in the jar, remove about 75% of the liquid sludge and start it off again.

The 75% of "sludge" was then diluted down into six bottles, primed with sugar and left to what I now know as "carbonate".

The "plant" lasted all one summer until she made a batch that started exploding in the pantry! (I presume that she over carbonated the bottles!) at which time it was poured down the sink and never seen again.

Maybe Mum got lucky but you could definitely give your idea a whirl because on my Mum's "plant" nothing went "off" for at least the two months it was sat on the mantlepiece! :thumb::thumb:

This brings me hope :)

I will keep you all posted as may keg the rest of what I have left or just wait till it's gone

Seems there is a lot more brewer's out there reusing their.Next we'll be known as the recycle forum... Keep it up and post your results 👍🍺

Sent from my ALE-L21

Jeez, that vid goes on a bit!

I'm going to try saving the MJ Liberty Bell from my AG Yorkshire Bitter and re-pitching it into my Wherry kit. Will be a first for me. Nabbed a jam jar of SWMBO this morning. She said 'why do you want it? I hope it has nothing to do with brewing..."

Nice! I will be following your exbeerperiment with interest.

How big is a 25kg bag of malt dimension wise. I'm wondering if my 60L blue barrel will be able to fit it all in

Hi!
I have two 25 litre buckets with sealing lids. The 25k bag of grain easily fits in both, with room to spare, so your 60 litre barrel will cope very well.
Colin

I normally keep all my specialty malts and my mill in the 60L barrel so by the sound of it I'll be able to get a 25kg bag of base malt in their too. Thanks :hat:

@MyQul
Yes you're in luck as mine are crushed and take and I fill 2*20 water containers to keep as much moisture out as possible.Although now I think about it I still have 10kg of Maris otter and 4kg of Minch wheat malt in them.Time to get another two as they are only £5 each.
I think there shall be some interesting times ahead

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

To keep moisture at bay in my malt bin I use one of those tiny dehumidifiers like the one in the photo of my mill.

Just a warning to the wise though. Make sure that it is unscented. :thumb:

I'm fortunate that, in my local hardware store, the red ones are unscented whereas the blue ones smell like a Turkish Brothel.

Happy Days! :whistle:

Mill with dehumidifier.jpg

Have adjusted the recipe slightly to accomodate 10kg of Maris Otter I also have.I figured with the 25kg pale ale malt,10kg of maris otter,4 kg of Minch wheat malt and 1kg of cascade that I should be able to also get to grips with lower ABV beers.Here's a screenshot of the recipe.

Yeast cropping recipe..png

Latest posts

Back