Washing yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I want to re-use a yeast from my last brew, I know the general advice is to use it in progressively darker beers but this brew was a stout and I want to re-use it in a pale ale, will it be OK if I wash it enough times? I've washed it 3 times already and the liquid above the dropped-out yeast is starting to lighten.

Background - the yeast has been grown from bottled-conditioned beer from my local brewery and used a couple of times in stouts. I'm now attempting a clone of their house pale ale hence wanting to use their yeast.

I want to re-use a yeast from my last brew, I know the general advice is to use it in progressively darker beers but this brew was a stout and I want to re-use it in a pale ale, will it be OK if I wash it enough times? I've washed it 3 times already and the liquid above the dropped-out yeast is starting to lighten.

Background - the yeast has been grown from bottled-conditioned beer from my local brewery and used a couple of times in stouts. I'm now attempting a clone of their house pale ale hence wanting to use their yeast.

Should be fine now. If you crash your starter and decant the spent wort I doubt there will be any noticeable effect on the colour or flavour of your next brew.

yup sounds like you are good to go,
#
when you get your next brew going wait til its at high krausen and scoop some of the yeast from the top and store in the fridge, this will give you clean yeast without washing even from dark brews.

just cos im feeling pedantic,

Rinsing yeast involves clean sanitised(boiled/tyndalised) water, while Washing yeast involves an acid solution to kill all non yeast microlife.

With that off my chest ;) It sounds as if your good to go to mee too ;)

Latest posts

Back