Tropical flavour in pale ales

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erritsoe

Reaction score
I have searched the web four many hours to unlock the secret of a beer with the following description:

Aroma is moderate malty, toasted, fruity, elderflowers, pineapple notes
Nose is hoppy, fruits, citrus. Flavour is slightly malty, citrus, a bit grassy

I'm looking for english or german hops and english yeast.

I'm pretty sure, that the tropical flavors come from the hops and/or the yeast.

Any ideas about ingredients and fermentation temperatures?:grin:

I would have thought the tropical flavour would come from New World (USA/Aus/NZ) hops? British and European hops are more spicy/earthy/herbal, and most eatery yeasts give off fruity (but more raisin/dried fruits) and spicy flavours.

I am still a novice though so might be wrong.

Tettnang or Northern Brewer will give you the "grassy" herbal type flavours.
Nelson Sauvin goes from Grapefruit "citrus" through to pineapple / peachy as it ages. At least it has done in my brews.
Wyeast Thames Valley 1275 will tend to accentuate the fruity over the malty.
A few ideas for you only, I can't really see what you want to do with just the descriptors ... post your recipe later.

Sorry for then incomplete description. I'm trying to clone one of my all time favorites from Cumbria - Loweswater Gold. There's not much to find about this beer but my initial attributes are common on the web.

I have tried to come up with a recipe, which I would like to hear your comments.
I think that they're using german and british hops, so I tried to make a light IPA with a fermentation to the warm side - again to bring forward the fruit notes from the yeast...

Recipe: Loweswater Gylden 2017
Style: Best Bitter / IPA
TYPE: All Grain / Braumeister

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 28,77 l
Post Boil Volume: 26,77 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 25,00 l
Bottling Volume: 24,00 l
Estimated OG: 1,042 SG
Estimated Color: 15,9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 30,4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70,00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 74,2 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2,825 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (3,9 EBC) Grain 1 57,9 %
1,250 kg Maris Otter Malt (5,9 EBC) Grain 2 25,6 %
0,400 kg Imperial Malt (Simpsons) (45,0 EBC) Grain 3 8,2 %
0,200 kg Heritage Crystal Malt (Simpsons) (180,0 Grain 4 4,1 %
0,200 kg Wheat, Torrified (3,3 EBC) Grain 5 4,1 %
15 g First Gold [7,50 %] - Boil 60,0 min Hop 6 10,8 IBUs
15 g First Gold [7,50 %] - Boil 30,0 min Hop 7 8,3 IBUs
15 g Tettnang [4,50 %] - Boil 30,0 min Hop 8 5,0 IBUs
15 g First Gold [7,50 %] - Boil 10,0 min Hop 9 3,9 IBUs
15 g Tettnang [4,50 %] - Boil 10,0 min Hop 10 2,4 IBUs
15 g Styrian Golding (Savinja Golding) [5,25 %] - Boil 0,0 min Hop 11 0,0 IBUs
15 g Tettnang [4,50 %] - Boil 0,0 min Hop 12 0,0 IBUs
1,2 pkg Nottingham (Danstar #-) [23,66 ml] Yeast 13 -
15 g Styrian Golding (Savinja Golding) [5,25 %] - Dry hop 7 days Hop 14 0,0 IBUs
15 g Tettnang [4,50 %] - Dry hop 7 days Hop 15 0,0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 4,875 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 25,00 l of water at 71,7 C 65,6 C 90 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 8,65 l water at 75,6 C

---FERM PROCESS-----------------------------
Primary Start: 19 Feb 2017 - 4,00 Days at 19,0 C
Secondary Start: 23 Feb 2017 - 7,00 Days at 24,0 C
Style Carb Range: 1,60-2,50 Vols
Bottling Date: 02 Mar 2017 with 2,3 Volumes CO2:

Loweswater Gold ... sorry been out of the country too long, I don't know it. Is it actually a blond ale ? I see you have some quite dark malt in there for a blond ale. (Imperial, 45 EBC + the crystal = 600gr)

The wheat might throw a very slight haze ... if you are worried about it being crystal clear.

I reckon that combination of hops will be a real cracker ... it looks like the sort of beer that I brew myself. And to that end, I would forget the dry yeast and get some decent liquid yeast in ... your call on that one.

Go for it ... I bet it turns out better than what you are actually trying to emulate.

I have searched the web four many hours to unlock the secret of a beer with the following description:

Aroma is moderate malty, toasted, fruity, elderflowers, pineapple notes
Nose is hoppy, fruits, citrus. Flavour is slightly malty, citrus, a bit grassy

I'm looking for english or german hops and english yeast.

I'm pretty sure, that the tropical flavors come from the hops and/or the yeast.

Any ideas about ingredients and fermentation temperatures?:grin:

Try mailing the brewers and they should tell you what the hops are if not the exact amounts, most brewers are fairly helpful

Try mailing the brewers and they should tell you what the hops are if not the exact amounts, most brewers are fairly helpful

The only one I've ever contacted just ignored me. It's not even like I was asking about one of their core beers, it was a seasonal one that they only sell in the springtime.

The only one I've ever contacted just ignored me. It's not even like I was asking about one of their core beers, it was a seasonal one that they only sell in the springtime.

I mailed Tempest and the owner/brewer gave me the hop info for their long white cloud and had some good advice from Wylam brewers face to face.

I emailed St Peters Brewery once and was ignored. Their loss wont be buying anything from them in a hurry. I just wanted to know what honey flavouring is, didn't even ask for a recipe.

I emailed St Peters Brewery once and was ignored. Their loss wont be buying anything from them in a hurry. I just wanted to know what honey flavouring is, didn't even ask for a recipe.

The beers from the brewery in question (I won't name names but they are less than 25 miles from my house) went downhill when they branched out into gin and whisky so it's no great loss TBH. Their golden ale, IPA and the one I asked about (a citrusy Scottish amber ale) used to be superb but the last couple of bottles I've had were disappointing.

I already tried to contact the brewer but they didn't want to help. I think they were afraid that I would take away some business from them - even though we can't buy their beers here in Denmark:-?

I think you're right Bodleigh Head. I'll give it a try and if I'm pleased with the result, that's fine! I know, that my recipe is too loaded with ingredients compared to many comercial breweries - so I probably won't hit Loweswater Gold anyway:grin:

I think you're right Bodleigh Head. I'll give it a try and if I'm pleased with the result, that's fine! I know, that my recipe is too loaded with ingredients compared to many comercial breweries - so I probably won't hit Loweswater Gold anyway:grin:

Thanks for the "I think you're right" ... I like being right, it doesn't happen very often, particularly when SWMBO comes into the equation. Look forward to hearing about how wonderful your brew is. I would even pop in for a pint if it wasn't just too damned far. I still haven't managed to save up for that helicopter and the authorities don't think I deserve an honorary pilot's licence ... one day my James Bond lifestyle will fall into place :thumb:

Latest posts

Back