Yeast Slurry or Dry yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbud78

Regular.
Reaction score
Looking for a little advice, about to do a beer with a 1.070 OG so know I cant use just one pack of US-05. I do however have an ipa with a OG of 1.056 in the fermentor that I'm going to keg on Tuesday, the initial idea was to use some slurry from that to use in the new beer and save £5 on US-05 :mrgreen:

I have been looking into it and it seems like a right minefield :-(

I think the plan currently is to keg on Tuesday and if the beer looks good with no issues then save the yeast cake over night in the fridge then brew on Wednesday then pitch about 500ml of the slurry. Does this sound about right ?

Am going to order some US-05 as well but wont have time to make a starter from just one pack and tbh with the hassle i'd just stick the second one in.

Beers smith says

Yeast cells needed 262.8 Billion
Yeast cells without starter 360 Billion

Should be fine with the slurry - if you can do more than 500ml, it might help give it a quicker starter, it is very hard for homebrewers to over pitch.

Good luck with it.

Should be fine with the slurry - if you can do more than 500ml, it might help give it a quicker starter, it is very hard for homebrewers to over pitch.

Good luck with it.

I agree slurry is fine but 500ml is a lot. I normally pitch about 100ml-150ml if my slurry is quite clea or 200ml-300ml if the slurryI've harvested is from brew I chucked all the break material into the FV

I agree slurry is fine but 500ml is a lot. I normally pitch about 100ml-150ml if my slurry is quite clea or 200ml-300ml if the slurryI've harvested is from brew I chucked all the break material into the FV

Yeah, I chucked all the break in so thought it would quite trubby.

I'll take some photos on Tuesday night and decide Wednesday :whistle:

I've done 1060ish (1058-1062) brews with about 150ml of slurry and they've gone off like a rocket. I find re-pitched yeast kicks in quicker than new yeast, starter or not.

Back