Gluten Free Kits?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Global33

Reaction score
Probably a bit niche, but hey, that's why I'm here. :smile:

I'm wondering if anyone has got any experience with brewing gluten free beer from kits? I was pleasantly surprised that there seem to be a number around and the cost of gluten free beer in supermarket is quite pricey. I'm still a total noob and at the point in ordering not just the kit, but the hardware as well.

So far I've seen the Simply kits, which need sugar adding and the Gone with the Wheat range that are complete?

Am I right in thinking that any kit that asks you to add sugar will probably not taste as good unless you add a malt extract?

I've got a couple of mates who used to be big beer fans but have been diagnosed as coeliac so turned to cider. One is a home brewer but was thinking of giving up. He has recently decided to give a gluten free kit a go and when I last saw him on Saturday last week he told me he was waiting for his first kit to be delivered.

I brewed a Gone With The Wheat Kit for a mate of mine last year.

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=64265

Despite the problems I had with the initial fermentation kicking off I can recommend the kit; but if I do it again, I will make damned sure that the yeast is alive and kicking well before I pitch it!

The good news is that after carbonation and two months conditioning it cleared well and tasted fine.

I kept four bottles back to monitor the brew. After reaching a peak at about three months, the brew started to fall off and by about six months it was almost tasteless.

I still have a single bottle left on the shelf. I will drink that in the summer to see if it has stayed the same or gone off at just under a year old.

I checked out the link and thought I had better point out that the tin shown on the site states "Less than 20ppm gluten."

Some people are incredibly sensitive to ANY gluten and you should therefore check with whoever is going to drink it before committing yourself to a particular kit.

For example, my mate doesn't class himself as being "terribly sensitive to gluten".

However, one time, having explained to the manager of the restaurant that he was a coeliac sufferer, he was served soup which had four small croutons floating in it.

He pointed out his problem to the waitress, explained how he had talked to the manager and requested a new bowl of soup.

The waitress returned with his new bowl of soup and he spent the next day on the toilet; from where he phoned me to explain that the waitress must have just fished out the croutons and given him the same bowl of soup as originally presented!

Remember, he isn't one of the "incredibly sensitive" coeliacs! :doh:

Unfortunately the "Gluten Free" Mangrove Jacks IPA that I brewed got infected I think. I had to chuck it.
I'm sure it was an infection of some sort, not the brew itself.
I see now that the Mangrove Jacks is LOW GLUTEN.

I checked out the link and thought I had better point out that the tin shown on the site states "Less than 20ppm gluten."

Some people are incredibly sensitive to ANY gluten and you should therefore check with whoever is going to drink it before committing yourself to a particular kit.

For example, my mate doesn't class himself as being "terribly sensitive to gluten".

However, one time, having explained to the manager of the restaurant that he was a coeliac sufferer, he was served soup which had four small croutons floating in it.

He pointed out his problem to the waitress, explained how he had talked to the manager and requested a new bowl of soup.

The waitress returned with his new bowl of soup and he spent the next day on the toilet; from where he phoned me to explain that the waitress must have just fished out the croutons and given him the same bowl of soup as originally presented!

Remember, he isn't one of the "incredibly sensitive" coeliacs! :doh:

Thanks for that. As simon12 mentions, the level is dramatically reduced when the kit is made up as instructed, 3ppm is clearly stated in the review and on the sellers website. However, I'm a brewer and not a doctor, and 3ppm may be a problem to some people, that is why the review contains the disclaimer of only being based on the beers appearance, aroma and flavour. If you care to read it.

"Only foods that contain 20*parts per million*(ppm) or less can be labelled as 'gluten-free'." - www.coeliac.org.uk

https://www.coeliac.org.uk/gluten-free-diet-and-lifestyle/food-shopping/law-on-gluten-free/

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

From memory (which is getting a lot worse nowadays :grin:) Gone With The Wheat uses sorghum extract that contains no gluten whatsoever.

Not being a doctor either, and not wishing to poison a mate of many years, I worried about using a standard yeast when the original one just didn't kick off. As things turned out it was okay and I am very relieved to say that he is still with us! :thumb:

Oh, one other thing. I lashed out and bought a new FV from Wilco and cleaned everything in sight to make sure that I didn't contaminate anything with previous brews!

If I did it regularly, I would put aside a complete "Gluten Free" brewing kit. However, in the end I decided that it would be easier to encourage my mate to take up brewing for himself. :whistle:

I just hope that (if he survives) your friend is very appreciative of your efforts! :thumb:

I have never tried one but read in multiple place the sorgum based kits just don't taste like beer. I have not tried it either but would recommend trying the kit sadfield post especially as you are looking for an alternative to supermarket gluten free beer which is up to 20ppm gluten. I assume the kit is around 3ppm just due to the dilution, fermentation and clearing the beer will reduce this further. Also note westerham brewerys full range of bottled beers are glutem free and good though generally over carbonated.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Fortunately I don't need to worry about total intolerance, it's for my other half, who can stand some gluten, but a few pints leaves her feeling not so good. Gone with the Wheat sounds like a good choice.

@Chippy_tea I'm not at that level yet, but I do hope to get there. :)

Latest posts

Back