HBC Bavarian Hefe Weizen Beer Mashkit (23lt)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chesters-mild

Reaction score
Well the kit has just arrived & the instructions are clear & simple enough, as I have all the gear to mash boil etc. (This will be my 4th all grain beer.)Has anyone on the forum made this kit? While the hops are vac packed they seem a small amount or is that just me being picky
Cheers

Hefe bitterness levels are very low - often 10 IBUs (or less!), with a bitterness-to-starting gravity ratio (IBU divided by OG) of 0.2 or thereabouts. Contrast that to 80+ / 0.8+ for an imperial IPA, and yeah, I wouldn't expect many hops!

Hefe bitterness levels are very low - often 10 IBUs (or less!), with a bitterness-to-starting gravity ratio (IBU divided by OG) of 0.2 or thereabouts. Contrast that to 80+ / 0.8+ for an imperial IPA, and yeah, I wouldn't expect many hops!
Including the plastic vac pack the weight is 17grms.I just thought it a little low, If one allows 3 to 5 grms. for the plastic it's not a lot. I'll go with it anyway - could always add a hop tea pre bottling if I think it need it
Cheers

Doesn't sound a lot of hops, but (as has been mentioned) hefeweizen style usually has fairly low fg and high carbonation to make up for it. Let us know how yours turns out.

Well .. The grain weight came in at 5Kg. and that was as expected for their estimated OG of 1.050, the hops (after removing them from the vac pack) weighed 10 Gr. that I thought was too light so added 6 Gr. of Goldings. Followed their instructions as near as I could and ended up with just shy of 23 lit. in the fermenter at an OG of 1.051. Rehydrated the yeast (Safale WB-06) and it's now bubbling away with a nice thick yeast head at 22c. The only downer was that my new digital thermometer has gone belly up, had to use a dial type meat thermometer instead! still I seem to have hit the numbers - so I've given up on digital and have ordered a dial type brewing thermometer.
More to follow as the beer progresses :thumb:
Cheers

Tested the gravity this morning as it's now sat at 20c - 1.013 - there is still some activity in the airlock so it will drop even further, so will re test early next week. Did all the usual hydrometer things, twirling etc., to get an accurate reading. With my new 'finishing hydrometer' it was so easy to read.
More to follow!
Cheers

Re tested the gravity this morning 0.008, nice mellow banana smell and now a light hazy colour also it's lost a lot of the 'tart' taste from the last test. Still a little activity from the airlock so I'll check again on Thursday or Friday. I expect to bottle on Friday or Saturday.
Cheers

I decided to fill one bottle and pop a carbonation drop in it on Tuesday, that had well gassed up by Thursday so I chilled it and drank it on Thursday evening, and it was quite nice - better than I expected for a 'new' beer. Anyhow left the rest till Yesterday and bottled at a gravity of 1.007, this gives an ABV of 5.78% - it should have been about 5% ABV. The PET bottles are just starting to get tightish so it's starting to slowly carb up. So including the one test bottle (as above) I got 36 500cc bottles out of the kit. - not bad value I thought!
Will post more with a photo when I try it.
Cheers

So....time to give it a try, here is the result. All in all not bad it has a light banana flavour and fair citrus flavour. I'm sure it would have been better had I mashed at the correct temperature (due to the failure of my thermometer I suspect the mash was rather low) I'm also sure that given time it will develop even better.
Would I use this kit again? well yes I think I would, but I'd like to try a recipe from another source first, here or Greg's book.
Cheers!

beer-1.JPG

Back