Apricot essence

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanch3z

Reaction score
I have two Wherry kits left to do before making the leap to AG. For both of these remaining ones I want to add a little fruit to each:

1. 2KG plums at the end (+ Pectolase + Liquorice)
2. 550g Apricots with Apricot essence at the end (+ Pectolase)

For the essence, do I need a particular one and what quantity should I add to 21 litres (brewed a little short)? I don't want to be overwhelmed.

I'm assuming a week in the secondary barrel before bottling is sufficient?

I'm only asking now as I have to put an order in and delivery is £6.50 so might as well get everything I need now for the next couple of batches ;)

It is hard to say but will depend very much on the brand of essence you use and how strong it is. I made a plum porter last year and used 2KG of plums late in the boil. That made almost no impression on the finished beer, although the plums were pretty under-ripe and out of season. I then used 100 drops of this stuff. This ended up slightly too plumy initially although it has aged out very well.

I made an assessment at bottling time by taking a pint from the fermentation vessel and then adding a drop at a time till i got to where I wanted. I think this is the only way to judge as you get very different types of essence, some very week and others very potent.

I can thoroughly recommend the ones from Uncle Roy's

Back