Too much head....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Granarian

Reaction score
Why does my beer always give a massive creamy head? It settles after about five minutes, but only a third of the glass is beer!

IMG_1183.jpg

When i saw the title i thought i was going to have to delete the thread :lol:

Can you give more details so those in the know (as in not me) can try to work it out.

Need more info, do you bottle or keg, too much ....ahem... head is often caused by over carbonation possibly but unlikely could be an infection.

bottle barrel or keg served? and whats the serving temperature.

if bottled chilling for a couple of days in the fridge to 5c should retain most of the condition in the beer.

chilling a pb is a bit harder.

if keg served refer to a kegging chart for the optimum temp/pressure settings .

if already chilled its probably over conditioned. perhaps pay closer attention to hitting FG before bottling and cut down on the priming charge.

also pouring into a detergent/blemish free clean cold glass tipped at an angle to make the transfer between bottle and glass as turbulence free as possible is always helpfull

My king keg tap would do that, like a sparkler tap permanently set to the max. The solution was to trickle it out which means you have to wait ages for your pint. That got too frustrating so I replaced the standard tap with this proper adjustable sparkler tap.

My king keg tap would do that, like a sparkler tap permanently set to the max. The solution was to trickle it out which means you have to wait ages for your pint. That got too frustrating so I replaced the standard tap with this proper adjustable sparkler tap.

Hmm might have to look into some of those if I carry on with the King Kegs, have the same problem though I don't really mind taking a few minutes to pour the perfect pint at a slow trickle but sometimes it's difficult to get right level of trickle from the tap ;)

�£17.50 though for a plastic tap, must be a cheaper way to source those?

Hmm might have to look into some of those if I carry on with the King Kegs, have the same problem though I don't really mind taking a few minutes to pour the perfect pint at a slow trickle but sometimes it's difficult to get right level of trickle from the tap ;)
I still have to pour slowly from the sparkler tap it's just so much more controllable with the lever action. My KK twist tap was always quite stiff and I'd find it hard to open it 'just enough' without overdoing it and ending up with a pint of head.

I get the same from easy kegs but it's easily solved by venting the top before pouring.

(If I'm going to be keeping it a while then i won't vent just pour very slowly but mostly vent now)

Back