My cwtch hasnt started fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darkdude

Reaction score
Hi I prepared the beer as per specification yesturday at 4pm it is now 10.35 the next day and the bee is as still as a mill pond. Is this normal?and if not, can i save it?

image.jpg

Hi I prepared the beer as per specification yesturday at 4pm it is now 10.35 the next day and the bee is as still as a mill pond. Is this normal?and if not, can i save it?

looks like bubbles on the surface so its starting to ferment put it some were warm next to a rad it should soon be going.

Being in a cold room overnight won't have killed the yeast will it? I didn't know the heating was off in that room

I started this beer on friday midday and its going like a train now, so give it 24 hours. Yours looks oh to me

Most dry yeast pitched without rehydration will take 24hrs or so to get going. The bubbles are a good indicator that it's starting. Don't worry.

Hi in the back room it was way under 18 degrees all night, but I've moved it into the kitchen where it's warm

I have a similar problem with a Woodfordes Sundew kit. It's in a FastFerment vessel with a heat belt and covered with an old fleece jacket. It's in the garage and has been for a week but no sign of life. The flask at the bottom appears to have about a quarter of an inch of yeasty material in it. I assumed that the heat belt and fleece would be enough to keep the wort warm. It looks as though I'll have to move it inside the house. Do I need to do anything more?

Did it eventually get going?

I've made up a Cwtch kit yesterday and got exactly the same. I'm not going to panic as one of my recent brews took 3 days to get going, but 9 out of 10 of my brews are going the next day and this one isn't. I've looked inside the fermenter and the re-hydrated yeast is just sat on top as a gloopy clump.

...or a rubbish not enough in the packet type of yeast! Glad it's going...keep an eye on it and sharpen a pencil to give it a poke incase it gets lazy about 1020....

Latest posts

Back