American Style IPA recipe request

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funkateer

Reaction score
Hi guys - I'm new to the forum and newish to home brewing.

I started a few months ago just trying a few basic kits and I've been impressed with the results so far - but thinking about getting a little more adventurous.

For my first proper project I'd love to make an American style IPA - along the same lines as something like the Punk or Harpoon IPAs

or perhaps as a second choice an amber ale similar to Alaskan Amber or 5am Saint

any suggestions for relatively simple to follow recipes for a nooby?

Dunfie said:
I have had a couple of attempts at Punk that have been fairly successful. Here is the link to my brewday thread. Hopefully it will give you some ideas.

thanks Dunfie - sounds a little advanced for me right now though

any suggestions as to how I might simplify it without sacrificing too much of the hoppy punch?

The Punk style is clean malt but not too much body and then followed by the sharp punchy zesty hops. To make it simpler you could just go for Pale Malt. I used the sugar to thin it out a bit and raise the ABV so there is also something to think about (in my view mine still had more body that the original so that might give you an idea of how much sugar Brewdog use).

So if you are looking to make 5 gallons of beer @ roughly 6% abv you could try 6.5kg of Pale Malt (or 5.5kg pale malt and 500g of sugar).

For hopping you could get away with a simple schedule of challenger to bitter and some chinook or nelson sauvin for aroma. For something simple and to aim for 60 ibu and a sledge hammer load of punch then try

Challenger 50g @ start of boil
Challenger 20g @ 15min from end (also add your protofloc)
Chinook 30g @ 5min from end
Chinook 70g @ flame out

Use US-05 and ferment at around 18C of possible

Its not going to taste like Punk but will be tasty and give you some ideas.

Latest posts

Back