Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Kits & Brewing Equipment Reviews. > Woodfordes Wherry Review

Old 22-03-2017, 11:54 PM   #781
BeerisGOD

Liked 234 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 597

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
Happy New Year all.

Mine has been sat in the garage since 12/12/2016 so moved it into the house today after reading recent posts. I have never really tried my ales at room temperature as they have always been kept in the fridge. There is a difference in taste and I am well impressed with how it has turned out being my first brew. It does seem to have evaporated a bit since being in the garage as there is only about 6 inches left in the PB. Could be something to do with the 6 pints I gave to a mate (who was impressed) and the odd taste every day or so
Think I will put some into bottles and try and keep for a few months to see how they age.

Got my next kit, Youngs American IPA so looking forward to getting that on the go. If anybody has any tips on that I would be grateful. Hopefully this time I will keep a bit more back and not be so impatient.
Think you chose wisely there mate. The Young's kits come with much clearer instructions. If I remember correctly they give a minimum time of three weeks in primary or advise a fg before bottling. I gave my IPA 4 weeks. I had one a couple of months back (brewed in July) and although the hops had faded it still tasted better than most bottled ipa you buy in shops.

There's plenty of stuff on here on the IPA so don't hesitate to check.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:55 PM   #782
Tanzanite

Liked 403 Times on 314 Posts
Likes Given: 347

Just cracked a new batch of wherry made in jan, added a few East kent goldings, nice taste but seems a bit thin and lack of body for a wherry, has any one else noticed this. ?????

Old 10-04-2017, 01:20 AM   #783
BeerisGOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanzanite View Post
Just cracked a new batch of wherry made in jan, added a few East kent goldings, nice taste but seems a bit thin and lack of body for a wherry, has any one else noticed this. ?????
If you did a 23 litre batch you will find this, a few on here advise 21. It's a choice that leaves u in limbo a bit, more beer yes but weaker and as u say thinner. I'll admit I've only done one wherry but in all honesty the pint of it I had from a pub at the weekend made me realise it wasn't much better than the kit. For an AG it had a twang which surprised me. Maybe it was served a tad too cold though.
Maybe leave it another month. I am realising four months makes a big difference on body and flavour it's just hard with the summer approaching to leave them idle 😋

Old 18-04-2017, 09:27 PM   #784
trummy

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have brewed a Werry and a Wilkos kit which I understand is a badged Werry. The first Werry was ok but nothing special, the Wilko kit I think must have stuck as it was 3.7 and tasted like it! I would not bother with the kit again but a friend has given me one - best before 2012! I have replaced the yeast with a packet of Gervin - sprinkled that on the made up kit in the morning, working like a trooper by the evening - will see how this turns out

Old 19-04-2017, 05:59 AM   #785
BeerisGOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by trummy View Post
I have brewed a Werry and a Wilkos kit which I understand is a badged Werry. The first Werry was ok but nothing special, the Wilko kit I think must have stuck as it was 3.7 and tasted like it! I would not bother with the kit again but a friend has given me one - best before 2012! I have replaced the yeast with a packet of Gervin - sprinkled that on the made up kit in the morning, working like a trooper by the evening - will see how this turns out
Wish I had friends that handed out kits..Mind you I'd need some first (smallest violin plays)

Old 19-04-2017, 06:28 PM   #786
trummy

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I think he is expecting a few bottles!
BeerisGOD Likes This 
Old 30-04-2017, 01:44 PM   #787
trummy

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default B----- Werry

Its been in the FV -final og 1017 started 1041 making less than 3% ABV - this was with Gervin yeast - have given it another good stir (I always stir well before pitching anyway)( Some say I am a good stirrer!) What puzzles me is the beer does not taste sweet - which I would have expected - Anyone any words of wisdom?

Cheers

Old 30-04-2017, 01:57 PM   #788
Tanzanite

Liked 403 Times on 314 Posts
Likes Given: 347

Quote:
Its been in the FV -final og 1017 started 1041 making less than 3% ABV - this was with Gervin yeast - have given it another good stir (I always stir well before pitching anyway)( Some say I am a good stirrer!) What puzzles me is the beer does not taste sweet - which I would have expected - Anyone any words of wisdom?

Cheers
You have been diddled i am not a seeker of ABV a 4% bitter or lager is nice, i make woodfords regular , got a Nelson going at the mo, love the wherry but at 3% i would be contacting the makers, i noticed the last wherry kit i made was a bit thin are they cutting costs on the quality of the malt , i dont know,? the next wherry i make i am going to add 500g of amber spray malt and 30g of EKG hops

Old 30-04-2017, 02:31 PM   #789
terrym

Liked 1336 Times on 957 Posts
Likes Given: 606

Quote:

Cheers
I have managed to restart two brews recently by moving them into a warmer place. You could try that. Anything up to about 23*C should be OK.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:31 PM   #790
trummy

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I have put the FV on a tray heater for a bit and also added a few spoons of brewing sugar - A few bubbles have appeared on the brew. I will see how it goes, if i can get the og down to around 1.010 I will be happy! Will post on the final result.