Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Wine, Cider & Other Home Brewing Talk > Wine & Cider Brewdays! > WLP775 Turbo Cider let down :(

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 19-04-2017, 10:15 PM   #1
HowbeckAles

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default WLP775 Turbo Cider let down :(

Excitedly tried my first turbo cider the other day but it was a total disaster.

Inspired by Lakeybloke on YouTube, I bought my Waitrose apple juice and WLP775, made a starter (which wasn't very active but produced a fair bit of yeast), and chucked it all in to a fermenter. It went into my brew fridge at 21 degrees C and I left it.

I've been away with work a fair bit recently so haven't been keeping a very close eye on it. There were signs of fermentation in the beginning and it was about three weeks before I decided to go ahead and bottle on a spare day off.

Primed and bottled as usual and had a taste. It was still quite sweet so I had my suspicions that things hadn't gone to plan. Took a gravity reading and it was 1.032!

So now I have some very sweet, warm, mildly alcoholic apple juice, but turbo cider it ain't.

Any ideas why it didn't go to plan? Everything was sanitised well, the temperature was controlled, the yeast was fresh. I've harvested the yeast from the first batch so should I just jump straight back in and go again with it or should I invest in another vial?

Cheers.

Old 19-04-2017, 10:18 PM   #2
Roddy

Liked 370 Times on 314 Posts
Likes Given: 162

That's a bummer mate 😕

To be honest I've never used fresh yeast, or starters with any of the TC's I've ever made ( I always use a sachet of dried) and I've never had one not start..

Might be inclined to try dried if it was me

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Condng: 3L of Mead (Sep-16)

Drinking: RGJ/Elderberry WOW, Blackcurrant TC, Strawberry WOW, Rhubarb and Ginger TC
Next up: Rasp/Blackberry TC, some WOW or other Rhubarb probably

All me recipes at:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AqD9OOcGhwesm0Sn3Uv3VMozWHVS

Old 20-04-2017, 11:03 AM   #3
HowbeckAles

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Maybe I'll try a dry yeast then! Which one do you find works best? I liked the idea of the appley flavour of the WLP775.

Old 20-04-2017, 11:28 AM   #4
Roddy

Liked 370 Times on 314 Posts
Likes Given: 162

I now use a dried yeast with sweetener (e950 i think) built in, that I get from a seller on eBay

I've used various before (youngs, gervin, mangrove jacks etc), but they finished off a bit tarty for my liking. The sweetened yeast in a 25L batch turns it out kinda medium/dry 😀

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Condng: 3L of Mead (Sep-16)

Drinking: RGJ/Elderberry WOW, Blackcurrant TC, Strawberry WOW, Rhubarb and Ginger TC
Next up: Rasp/Blackberry TC, some WOW or other Rhubarb probably

All me recipes at:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AqD9OOcGhwesm0Sn3Uv3VMozWHVS

Old 20-04-2017, 11:42 AM   #5
IainM

Liked 800 Times on 561 Posts
Likes Given: 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowbeckAles View Post
Excitedly tried my first turbo cider the other day but it was a total disaster.

Inspired by Lakeybloke on YouTube, I bought my Waitrose apple juice and WLP775, made a starter (which wasn't very active but produced a fair bit of yeast), and chucked it all in to a fermenter. It went into my brew fridge at 21 degrees C and I left it.

I've been away with work a fair bit recently so haven't been keeping a very close eye on it. There were signs of fermentation in the beginning and it was about three weeks before I decided to go ahead and bottle on a spare day off.

Primed and bottled as usual and had a taste. It was still quite sweet so I had my suspicions that things hadn't gone to plan. Took a gravity reading and it was 1.032!

So now I have some very sweet, warm, mildly alcoholic apple juice, but turbo cider it ain't.

Any ideas why it didn't go to plan? Everything was sanitised well, the temperature was controlled, the yeast was fresh. I've harvested the yeast from the first batch so should I just jump straight back in and go again with it or should I invest in another vial?

Cheers.
If the yeast was fresh and stored correctly and it couldn't ferment at 21C, even with a starter, then the yeast was duff when you bought it. I would complain. You should at least get a replacement vial.
Conditioning: BBNo1:1 Citra saison, Chevallier bitter, Blackberry wine, Elderberry wine, Plum wine
Drinking: Cwtch, Bures Gold, Perry, Cider, Gales Festival Mild (GW clone), RIS, Winebuddy Merlot, Mead, Cyser, Melomel
Previous good'uns: RyeIPA, NEDIPA, Bitter (HBF comp 2nd place), Perry from scratch, Hobgob clone, DIYDog Dogma, Mild, BIPA x 3, ginger beer

Old 24-04-2017, 09:13 PM   #6
HowbeckAles

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for the tips - I shall try again with different yeast!

I will certainly mention the WLP775 yeast to the supplier that I bought it from. I've used several Ale yeasts and Lager yeasts over and over again without issue so I know what I'm doing with them. Perhaps it was a duff batch after all.

Old 30-04-2017, 06:35 PM   #7
BREWERS DROOP

Liked 87 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 346

Just started a second batch for a mate and used the sweetened cider yeast off Amazon,goes like a rocket after 2 days,no problems with the dry stuff
HowbeckAles Likes This