Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Wine, Cider & Other Home Brewing Talk > Wine & Cider Discussions > Supermarket Juice Wine Recipes and Wurzel's Orange Wine (WOW) .....

Old 10-04-2017, 10:55 AM   #1901
APINTA

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippy_Tea View Post
I don't know how accurate this is but non of my DJ's hold exactly 4.5 litres so i have added a little.

Same here I do not know after fermentation I fill it up to the base of the neck tried to use the calculator above but it does not seem to work

Old 10-04-2017, 11:11 AM   #1902
Chippy_Tea
THBF_ADMIN.png

Liked 3354 Times on 2672 Posts
Likes Given: 4108

Quote:
Same here I do not know after fermentation I fill it up to the base of the neck tried to use the calculator above but it does not seem to work

If you look at the start of this thread everyone was using 800g plus approximately 250g for the juice (2 litres) so we called it 1100g for 13%, the only way to know for sure is to take a hydrometer reading when you start and finish (even then its not 100% accurate as you never fill the DJ when you start and top up later).

You have a wine somewhere between 13% and 15%, to be honest i now only use a total of 900g as it the original put SWMBO to sleep after a couple of glasses.
Forum Member Map - https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=2290525#

Old 10-04-2017, 05:43 PM   #1903
APINTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippy_Tea View Post
If you look at the start of this thread everyone was using 800g plus approximately 250g for the juice (2 litres) so we called it 1100g for 13%, the only way to know for sure is to take a hydrometer reading when you start and finish (even then its not 100% accurate as you never fill the DJ when you start and top up later).

You have a wine somewhere between 13% and 15%, to be honest i now only use a total of 900g as it the original put SWMBO to sleep after a couple of glasses.
GREAT CHIPPY!! What is it 15% for your wife to go to sleep My Memsahib needs bit more for that to haapen If I upgrade the wine for her to go to sleep will become a sprit I know this Much she has a couple of glasses of Absinthe at the weekend and even that does not get her to doze off

Old 10-04-2017, 05:50 PM   #1904
Chippy_Tea
THBF_ADMIN.png

Liked 3354 Times on 2672 Posts
Likes Given: 4108

Quote:
What is it 15% for your wife to go to sleep
She only had a couple of glasses of the 13% before she fell asleep especially if she had been on the late shift, to be honest i wasn't far behind if i had been up early for work, we find the 10% version much less sleep inducing
Forum Member Map - https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=2290525#
APINTA Likes This 
Old 19-04-2017, 10:46 AM   #1905
APINTA

Hi I think I have just made a mess up> I am about to make my rose but a bit stronger this time than I did last time. But when I done the sugar instead of 800g + the juice sugar which would be approx 10.050 I forgot to do it on this mix and made up 1200 gm of sugar forgetting to add the Juice sugar which would bring it up to 1450 Gm So gods knows what alcohol level it will be. Can anybody help or any advice on this besides anybody drinking this should straight away go to the nearest hospital

Old 19-04-2017, 12:03 PM   #1906
Vinotinto

Liked 78 Times on 65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by APINTA View Post
Hi I think I have just made a mess up> I am about to make my rose but a bit stronger this time than I did last time. But when I done the sugar instead of 800g + the juice sugar which would be approx 10.050 I forgot to do it on this mix and made up 1200 gm of sugar forgetting to add the Juice sugar which would bring it up to 1450 Gm So gods knows what alcohol level it will be. Can anybody help or any advice on this besides anybody drinking this should straight away go to the nearest hospital
Whilst the yeast may give up anyway, what stage are you at? Water down perhaps?

Old 19-04-2017, 12:24 PM   #1907
APINTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinotinto View Post
Whilst the yeast may give up anyway, what stage are you at? Water down perhaps?
All I have done is put the juice in the demijohn have done sugar ready to go in but have not added it to the demijohn yet but the sugar is liquid form . Also want my wow to be dry as well

Old 19-04-2017, 12:41 PM   #1908
Vinotinto

Liked 78 Times on 65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by APINTA View Post
All I have done is put the juice in the demijohn have done sugar ready to go in but have not added it to the demijohn yet but the sugar is liquid form . Also want my wow to be dry as well
Options? Try it and see what happens? Redo the sugar solution properly and then add it?

Another way of adding your sugar is to throw it into the juice etc and beat the hell out of it with a wand until it dissolves. Dispenses with the need to heat etc.

Old 20-04-2017, 04:19 PM   #1909
richytrue

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

So I've sampled my first 2 Wows with like 1400gms of sugar in them and they are the alcohol equivalent of crystal meth but drinkable when diluted with lemonade so will keep them for nice summer days (if we get any) as the underlying taste isn't bad. I put another couple on...anyone tried/made any of the below?

2×Asda Clementine
1xAsda Pineapple
400gs sugar

1xAsda Apple
1xAsda Apple & Mango
1xAsda RGJ, Strawberry & KiwI
400gs sugar
Chippy_Tea Likes This 
Old 21-04-2017, 10:24 AM   #1910
APINTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by richytrue View Post
So I've sampled my first 2 Wows with like 1400gms of sugar in them and they are the alcohol equivalent of crystal meth but drinkable when diluted with lemonade so will keep them for nice summer days (if we get any) as the underlying taste isn't bad. I put another couple on...anyone tried/made any of the below?

2×Asda Clementine
1xAsda Pineapple
400gs sugar

1xAsda Apple
1xAsda Apple & Mango
1xAsda RGJ, Strawberry & KiwI
400gs sugar
That would still not be strong enough for the old Memsahib I mean she drinks Absinthe for crying out loud When you said you put 1400 grams of sugar did that include 250grms of sugar that is already in the juice when you buy it

Tags
cheap wine, chill haze, home made wine, how to make juice wine, red grape juice, supermarket juice wine, white grape juice, wine making help, wine recipe, wow, wurzel's orange wine