Crazy difference in water reports.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like corporate ******** from Murphy's to me. As I stated earlier the acid I bought from them had a different strength to what was stated on the label. If they can't test their own product correctly that would give me no confidence in their water testing.

Sounds like corporate ******** from Murphy's to me. As I stated earlier the acid I bought from them had a different strength to what was stated on the label. If they can't test their own product correctly that would give me no confidence in their water testing.

Oh don't get me wrong I'm still getting a second opinion from Phoenix. Until I've got a second set of results, I have nothing to dispute really.

I can't really compare it to the water boards results because they don't have all of the data that I need.

Okay, I have recieved the results from Phoenix and they are in the same ballpark as those recieved from Murphy and sons. So my actual hardness is nowhere near where Welsh Water claim that it is. In fact my water is quite soft, good for pils etc.

Okay, I have recieved the results from Phoenix and they are in the same ballpark as those recieved from Murphy and sons. So my actual hardness is nowhere near where Welsh Water claim that it is. In fact my water is quite soft, good for pils etc.

This is a great bit of info many thanks for it. So Welsh Water (WW) it would appear are giving an area based 'general' figure or pre treatment figure. It's as you say what is coming out of your tap that's important.

if WW are measuring what comes out of the borehole that's not going to be the same after they've treated it, is it? :-o

This is a great bit of info many thanks for it. So Welsh Water (WW) it would appear are giving an area based 'general' figure or pre treatment figure. It's as you say what is coming out of your tap that's important.

if WW are measuring what comes out of the borehole that's not going to be the same after they've treated it, is it? :-o

Well I would assume that thier published measurements are post-treatment, for quality control and audit purposes.

It wouldn't make sense to publish what the water is prior to treatment.

Saying that however the water is losing a lot of hardness between their output and my tap.... But then I'm don't know enough about it yet to say whether or not that is possible.

I guess the take-home message is that you can't count on your local water authority figures.

Back