Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Beer Brewing Equipment Discussion > How to use a Cornelius Keg Properly?

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 21-04-2017, 06:14 AM   #1
SPR

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default How to use a Cornelius Keg Properly?

Hi Guys

Following your advice and tips on another thread I've taken the leap and purchased a brand new Cornelius Keg with fittings etc from Brew UK and hopefully I've bottled my last bottle.

Any tips on how to use it, and prepare the beers etc would be greatly appreciated.

On the beer/cider itself (i use kits mainly festival pilgrims hope etc) do I ferment it as normal in a bucket, and then transfer it to another bucket to clear under airlock, and only then once clear add it to the Keg?

I assume I don't need to add sugar for carbonation as the CO2 will do that?

Should or can I still use heading solution to help retain the beer head?

Also do I have to leave the beer for an extended period in the clearing bucket to 'age it' to make it better or does some magic happen in the Keg so its drinkable faster. I've read the kegs take a week to 2 weeks to carbonate ?

Also the kegs are I think 19l were as the kits are 23litres. Do I just bin the left overs as part of the process I assume ?

Ive never used one of these before as just used bottles, so any advice would be great.

Old 21-04-2017, 07:12 AM   #2
Leon103

Liked 820 Times on 663 Posts
Likes Given: 684

Not a cornie user so will leave the questions to someone who is but never throw beer away, can't you just bottle the remaining few litres?
Scroopster Likes This 
Old 21-04-2017, 07:20 AM   #3
chewie

Liked 338 Times on 285 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Bottle up your leftovers, no point throwing good beer away, with only 1 keg you will be limiting yourself a bit with what you can drink and there will be a delay between you emptying it and filling it and it being ready to drink. If you want the beer as clear as possible then force carbonate it and make sure you rack into the cornie as clear as possible, the dip tube inside them has a low tolerance with the bottom of the keg and it will gunge up if you don't keep the beer clear.
Scroopster Likes This 
Old 21-04-2017, 08:39 AM   #4
BarnBrian

Liked 196 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 257

To get it to seal easily hold the lid in place and pressure up with CO2, then close the lever clamp.
I wouldn't buy new ones myself, HBC usually have them for around £120 for three.
You will probably need at least six, I have twelve which gives me plenty of choice of conditioned beer.

Brian

Old 21-04-2017, 08:45 AM   #5
Fil

Liked 868 Times on 735 Posts
Likes Given: 26

bottle the first few litres from your fv and prime with a little sugar to condition. then dump the remaining beer in the keg.

its way easier to bottle first and drop the remaining beer into a keg than try and bottle the last runings clear.

when serving its crucial to remember the kegs are only the container aspect of a dispensing system. you also need a regulated co2 supply and at least an appreciation of the relationship between temperature pressure and condition level which is best represented by the information in a kegging chart.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...58187178,d.ZG4

So keg temperature is a crucial aspect, if you dont house your keg in a fridge to maintain a constant temp you will need to do your best to maintain a stable keg temp and adjust your serving pressure accordingly. It can be done as i do it.. but come summer i need to employ a shelf chiller to serve a pint.

then you also need to consider how to reduce the pressure contained in the keg to a nominal level when you crack the tap as a lage drop in pressure will stimulate a foam out. most of us use restricting 3/16" micro line between the tap and keg to do this simply and cheaply.. upt 5-6ft should drop the keg pressure to a nominal difference at release for the most conditioned of brews..

it can take a bit of tweaking and fettling to sus out how to get the best from kegs in your situation but its worth it
People Like This 
Old 21-04-2017, 08:50 AM   #6
Godsdog

Liked 718 Times on 507 Posts
Likes Given: 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
Hi Guys

Following your advice and tips on another thread I've taken the leap and purchased a brand new Cornelius Keg with fittings etc from Brew UK and hopefully I've bottled my last bottle.

Any tips on how to use it, and prepare the beers etc would be greatly appreciated.

On the beer/cider itself (i use kits mainly festival pilgrims hope etc) do I ferment it as normal in a bucket, and then transfer it to another bucket to clear under airlock, and only then once clear add it to the Keg?

I assume I don't need to add sugar for carbonation as the CO2 will do that?

Should or can I still use heading solution to help retain the beer head?

Also do I have to leave the beer for an extended period in the clearing bucket to 'age it' to make it better or does some magic happen in the Keg so its drinkable faster. I've read the kegs take a week to 2 weeks to carbonate ?

Also the kegs are I think 19l were as the kits are 23litres. Do I just bin the left overs as part of the process I assume ?

Ive never used one of these before as just used bottles, so any advice would be great.
you don't need to sugar prime for carbing
you can still use header powder but why is the question I never found it worked very well
most cornie users tend to leave the beer to clear in the FV and a second bucket before transferring the clear beer to the cornie and force carb where it is usually ready to drink,GET MORE CORNIES and rotate, job done and forget a second bucket
bin 4 litres of good beer OMFGI use 1 litre used soda water pet bottles to take up the excess which are good as you can squeeze all the air out before capping them
Old 21-04-2017, 11:43 AM   #7
Druncan
Senior Moments

Liked 103 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 225

I now have 14 x 25L. I drop straight into the Keg and as said pressurize then clamp the top. I use KY gel on all connects. I have a ss brewers mash ladle that I fasten a non scratch pan cleaner to for scrubbing our the bottom of the keg. Lost on brew as I had missed some previous crud Got a LED spotlight on a bendy arm for inspection.
I love my kegs! brilliant piece of well designed and supported kit

Old 21-04-2017, 11:48 AM   #8
bigbud78

Liked 79 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druncan View Post
I now have 14 x 25L. I drop straight into the Keg and as said pressurize then clamp the top. I use KY gel on all connects. I have a ss brewers mash ladle that I fasten a non scratch pan cleaner to for scrubbing our the bottom of the keg. Lost on brew as I had missed some previous crud Got a LED spotlight on a bendy arm for inspection.
I love my kegs! brilliant piece of well designed and supported kit
Off topic but...

Dude, are you a kitesurfer ? I'm fairly sure you know this place
Attached Thumbnails
41217_10150265571480506_7308950_n.jpg  
Druncan Likes This 
Old 21-04-2017, 11:51 AM   #9
Druncan
Senior Moments

Liked 103 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 225

Wow, Hi m8. Yup that's me! Few changes since then though
Ooops, Apologies to the OP for the hijack,,,,,

Old 21-04-2017, 02:43 PM   #10
SPR

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Thanks for all the replies guys, didn't now about drops in gas pressure when serving etc !

I think when the Keg arrives on Tuesday all will become a bit clearer when I see what's what.

If it works well I'm going to get some more, so the single one is just a trial run.

So in the replies you mention getting more kegs. I assume I can't let the beer clear in these because the sediment will block up the pipe when I start serving it ? Or can I - which would be much easier ?

So what's your beer making process for using multiple kegs and rotating etc?

Sorry if I sound a bit thick but never done kegs before and it's great to get tips from you chaps with the knowledge

PS. Any tips on best CO2 supplies?