This may seem an odd question - but bear with me .....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pakman

Regular.
Reaction score
All of my AG brews so far have resulted in pale ales that have incorporated an unusual taste within. Here come the questions:-

Are you over 40 ish?
Do you remember using paper glue at Junior school that came in a glass bottle with a rubber applicator on the top?
Did you ever lick that applicator to get it working again when you came a cross a dried up one that was seized solid?

That taste (I call it the Gloy Gum taste) is what I have in my AG brews. I have also noticed it appearing in 'Hoppiness', a pale ale produced in my local pub - The Cross Keys.

So far my AG brews have only used Maris Otter malt as I hadn't obtained any others yet but that was rectified this week - however before I start another AG brew I like to try and identify what it is that is producing the 'Gloy Gum' taste.

Any ideas please?

Graham

Have a look at the The Flavour wheel to see if it can help with classifying the mystery flavour then google the result to determine the cause.

Might be worth entering some of your beers in The Spring thing Competition to get some professional feed back :cheers:

what are your mashing and sparging and fermentation temps?

You get the prize sir - experience has shown it is the fermentation temperature that has been too high. Taste went when I ditched the water bath and tropical fish heater and left the FV alone . . . . . . until my last two brews this summer.

The average room temperature has gone up and so the fermentation temp has increased as well and that orrible taste is becoming apparent again so even the missus has agreed that a fermentation fridge is required..

Just collected a fermentation fridge that I purchased from a Gumtree advert in Newport whilst working here in Wales.

Stopping off in Swindon on the way home tomorrow to collect my next sack of pale malt and a Dennis King Galaxy kit what I have pre-ordered for pickup.

Next brew will be AG#25

Graham

Latest posts

Back