Help for beginner

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteW1959

Reaction score
I have been brewing from kits for about 30 years, but I have just started a brew from grain and hops for the first time.

I followed a recipe in a book and have a question about fermentation time.

The recipe says to do the first fermentation in a bin until the SG drops to 1010, then rack off and continue fermentation with an airlock for 7 days. I am now at 9 days and the air lock is still bubbling over about once an hour.

When can I bottle it, and do I need to prime the bottles? I am used to kit beers completely stopping fermentation prior to bottling, and the priming sugar starts the process off again in the bottles. I am worried that I am going to get exploding bottles!

You will need to check the gravity. If it is stable for 2 consecutive days (3 if you are finneky) then it has finished primary fermentation.
I have found that all of my AG beers have finished fermentation after 7 days although others recommend to leave them for 14 days.
I bottle mine as soon as fermentation is complete and batch prime with 100g brewing sugar to 25lts of beer.

Hope this helps

Back