Dry hopping a stout kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serum

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've just made the jump to AG brewing but I have a St Peters Cream Stout kit kicking around and some Cascade hops and was wondering if I'll end up with something like a black IPA if I dry hop the kit.

Apparently it's a nice stout but it doesn't have a really distinctive character so that seems like it might be ripe for a bit of hop character. I've never dry hopped before though so I could be talking a load of guff.

Has anyone tried this?

I wouldn't recommend it. A black IPA is not roasty.

If you want to add some character then you could add some cocoa to make it a chocolate stout.

Fair enough, I did a bit more reading and I agree it's probably going to be a bit too heavy. I've not actually tried this kit before so probably best to keep it as is and get it out the way.

I would do the dry hop myself. American stouts are hoppy and I like that style. We are all different.

You were talking about dry hopping a stout I have just put this on.

1 tin 1.5 kg Wilko Dark Velvet Stout
1 tin 1.7 kg Cooper English Bitter
Dried Wheat Malt 500g
Dark Muscavado Sugar 430g (was aiming for 1060 OG did not do too bad)
Brewed Short to 21 litres
Orig Grav = 1061

Plan to dry hop as below after the move to secondary
10g Brambling Cross Hops
10g Citra Hops
10g First Gold Hops
21 Litres / 37 Pints
£0.63 Pint Apx

Just moved the above to secondary & took a gravity reading 1000, I personally have never seen anything get that low does anyone else have any experience of things getting this low?

i want to make a high abv chocolate stout for christmas around the 8% mark can i bang two wilko velvet stouts together brew it to 20l and add 500g of extra dark spray malt? How do you get the chocolate taste into it?

i want to make a high abv chocolate stout for christmas around the 8% mark can i bang two wilko velvet stouts together brew it to 20l and add 500g of extra dark spray malt? How do you get the chocolate taste into it?

You can use cocoa powder, search the forum and I am sure you will get some answers on quantities, I doubt the 2 kits + 500g of spray malt will get you to the 8% mark.

My above recipe only gave me 7.1% (hydro had a tiny pin hole and was filling with water hence the low in correct readings).

Latest posts

Back