De-gassing lager.....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve-h71

Reaction score
Hi All, I have made my first Lager which is getting close to finishing fermentation, what I need to know is do I de-gas the lager before lagering and bottling ??
I am also not sure if I need a D rest, the lager tastes really good even now while fermenting, I am really happy with it so far. if it doesnt have the buterscotch taste do I need to bother with the rest ??
I tent to use isinglass to clear my Ciders, when would be the best time to add it to the lager, before lagering or after lagering and before bottling ??

Thanks All.

Steve.

Hi All, I have made my first Lager which is getting close to finishing fermentation, what I need to know is do I de-gas the lager before lagering and bottling ??
I am also not sure if I need a D rest, the lager tastes really good even now while fermenting, I am really happy with it so far. if it doesnt have the buterscotch taste do I need to bother with the rest ??
I tent to use isinglass to clear my Ciders, when would be the best time to add it to the lager, before lagering or after lagering and before bottling ??

Thanks All.

Steve.

I'm pretty much a newbie so don't take this as a definitive response but I would expect your lager to be quite flat at the end of fermentation. Added to that you will presumably want your lager to be well carbonated before drinking. So with this in mind I don't see why you would want to de-gas it, unless I'm missing something.

If you brewed with a true lager yeast and at a lager temperature of around 12C then it is probably worth raising it to 18-20C for a D-rest to let the yeast clean it up. If it was a lager kit with an ale yeast and brewed at 18-20C anyway then I would say that stage is redundant.

I haven't used a clearing agent in my limited brewing experience yet but I cold crash my beers to around 2C in the FV for a week after fermentation is complete which in my last brew (ruby ale) left it pretty clear.

I would then batch prime it, bottle it and lager it.

Hope this helps.

I too can see absolutely no merit in de-gassing or fining a lager.

Great advice by the way, from the dunes.
Immense post.

Back